This position will be based in our regional offices in Jacksonville, FL. The position may, at times, be virtual but the expectation is that the position would primarily be face-to-face. This role would ideally start between May 1 through June 1 of 2021. If a candidate can be available earlier, this is also possible
Reporting to the COO, the Senior Director of Finance (“SDF”) is responsible for overseeing all financial functions within COMPANY Jacksonville. In doing so, the SDF will be charged with refining and executing on the strategic financial vision for COMPANY Jacksonville and managing a team to sustained efficacy in all aspects of finance and accounting. The SDF manages a Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis and an outsourced accounting firm.
Supporting our Schools:
- Serve as a thought-partner to school and regional leaders in all aspects of financial decision-making through strong internal control and budgeting processes, financial reporting, and analysis
- Support school leaders and Dean of Operations with the training, tools, and supervision needed to effectively manage school-level financial operations
Refine and Execute on the strategic financial vision for COMPANY Jacksonville:
- Develop, refine, document, and implement organization-wide processes, reports and dashboards to support effective communication on all finance matters across the organization
- Prepares management reports that provide insights into the organization’s performance against its financial plans and related financial health '
- Maintain a nuanced understanding of laws and regulations pertaining to school finance in Jacksonville.
- Refine and maintain appropriate internal controls and related financial risk management.
- Refine and maintain financial models that will inform both near term and long-term decision making by school and regional leaders
- Support the acquisition and planning for new facilities and sizeable equipment and technology, determining cost-effective solutions related to the expansion of the region
- Develop a strategic financial plan reflecting educational priorities and sustainability
- Liaise with Finance Committee and larger BOT on all finance matters '
Manage staff to sustained efficacy in all accounting practices:
- Direct the preparation of reports to meet the compliance needs of government agencies, grants, and bank covenants
- Manage accounting staff to successfully prepare for organizational audits performed by independent financial auditors
- Manage outsourced firm responsible for payroll, accounts payable and receivable, bank reconciliations, and petty cash
- Supervise and execute on organizational-wide accounting practices to ensure continuous compliance in all aspects of financial reporting
- Support strong grant management and monthly reconciliation of private dollars
- Other duties as assigned by their manager
- COMPANY Jacksonville Schools believes that our staff will represent our core values of high expectations, growth mindset, commitment to team, trust, joy, and sustainability. We search for established educators and staff who embody them.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, accounting or a related field
- 5+ years serving in a management role such as Director of Finance, Controller or equivalent
- Excellent financial modeling skills, which includes an aptitude for advanced functions with MS Excel
- Proficiency in using accounting software
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Superb written and oral communication skills; comfort explaining complex financial matters in a simple way and an ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders
- Strong work ethic, entrepreneurial spirit and flexibility to accommodate a high level of responsibility, multiple priorities and changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy environment with a proven ability to balance multiple deadlines and tasks. Detail orientation is a must
- Ability to bring a creative approach to assessing and analyzing the organization’s financial efficiency and effectiveness '
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working in or with charter schools and/or other education, non-profit or public sector organization