Optum is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Solution Design team leads partnership due diligence efforts with prospective health system clients to assess the financial value and operational delivery risk of a partnership with Optum. Our goal is to convert sales prospects into revenue generating partnerships utilizing Optum’s solutions to make the health system work better for everyone. We work closely with the initial sales/prospecting team, business units throughout the organization, as well as process optimization and delivery teams to determine financial value opportunity and methods to create revenue and/or efficiencies for our clients.
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible end-to-end management of large, transformational sales pursuits starting from planning, due diligence and solution design execution, to contracting. This role is expected to have hands on experience in managing a large team of cross-functional senior leaders and subject matter experts with varying backgrounds and communication styles, including sales, information technology, finance and vendor management, revenue cycle operations, clinicians, compliance, and human capital.
You'll enjoy the flexibility of telecommuting* from anywhere within the U.S., preferably from the West Coast, as you take on some tough challenges and grow your career.
- Responsible for the coordination and completion of Transformational Partnership projects working with team from various functional areas. Experience in any of the following areas is preferred: acute and ambulatory revenue cycle operations, population health, Information Technology outsourcing, and management consulting
- Coordinate directly with prospective client executives and internal Optum stakeholders to manage Transformational Partnership projects. This responsibility will require a strong client-facing presence, communication and presentation skills
- Create deliverables for senior management on project updates, risks, and expected results. Plan and deliver well-structured oral and written communications, highlighting strategic opportunities
- Provide subject matter expertise in areas including: project scope definition, risk identification, project methodology, timeline and work plan details, resource gaps, and other areas of expertise based on established project management techniques
- Ensure alignment and understanding of program/project scope and objectives with the organization's strategic objectives, in consultation with applicable stakeholders
- Educate teams on enterprise project management office (PMO) methodology and best practices
- Provides leadership to and is accountable for the performance and direction through multiple layers of management and senior level professional staff
- Directs others to resolve business problems that affect multiple functions or disciplines
- Raise awareness of any misalignment or misunderstanding of project scope and objectives with applicable stakeholders
- Ensure that all impacted areas are identified, and that appropriate resources are engaged to participate in the scope definition process
- Ensure that project scope, requirements and approvals comply with existing governance guidelines and methodology
- Ensure that all project dependencies/linkages are identified (e.g., cross-functional area dependencies, implementation timelines, value proposition overlap areas, etc.)
- Obtain agreement on project scope from applicable stakeholders, and ensures that requirements sign-off is obtained
- Apply consultative thinking and mindset to advise the client and internal stakeholders
- Develop, design, document, deploy, and enhance the Program and Project Management framework, methodology, practices, policies, and procedures
- Exemplify Optum’s values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation, and Performance across all activities
- Employees in this position should have achieved certification in project management, or have at least 3 years of experience in managing large, cross-functional projects
- Employees in this position are expected to have experience supervising junior employees and be able to provide coaching and guidance on project management strategies and best practices
- Demonstrated leadership capability and ability to influence others
- An appetite for tackling the demands of a high-performance environment
- A positive attitude and comfort for challenging ideas and solutions
- Able to deliver high value and quality results in tight time windows
- Able to work independently and the discipline to deliver results
- Able to digest complex and practical business strategy, planning and organizational change management concepts and make them a reality
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree
- Expert level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Visio
- Experience collaborating with counterparts to support work associated with multiple/simultaneous clients
- Experience adapting and pivoting based on new information, shifting timelines and client needs
- Certification: Project Management Professional (PMP)®, Program Management Professional (PgMP)® or Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)® certification preferred, also Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt accredited certification
- 5+ years of experience of current or recently former top consulting firm (e.g. McKinsey, Boston Consulting, Bain, IBM, Accenture, etc.)
- Creative, strategic thinker with excellent critical thinking skills
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Senior Project Manager, project manager, consulting, consultant, PMP, healthcare, hospitals, Optum, United Health Group, West Coast, telecommute, remote, work from home