Florida’s First Coast is one of the hottest real-estate markets in the country, with a resurging downtown, a booming industrial sector, residential development happening at a “supernova” pace and a flood of new people and companies.
With that comes a number of issues, as the community deals with questions about affordable housing and smart growth, developers compete over projects and business leaders strategize their next steps.
We’re looking for a reporter who can help our readers make sense of it — be the first to tell them what is happening and then step back to put the news in context.
Covering real estate and growth in Jacksonville requires a reporter who is driven to do the hard work of digging up news and intrigued by the challenge of both reporting daily updates and piecing together the larger picture of the forces shaping our community.
To do this job, you’ll need to be great at sourcing, comfortable dealing with data and have a drive to help business leaders understand and compete in a fast-moving world.
You’ll get to break news for our daily report, write features about the people and issues that matter and have dedicated time for longer-form journalism. You’ll also get competitive pay, a great benefits package and the opportunity to advance in a company that’s growing: The JBJ has been a springboard for careers throughout American City Business Journals as well as other top-notch business publications.
If you have the enthusiasm, drive and talent to do the level of work we’re looking for, we should talk. Your application should include your resume, your best clips and a cover letter explaining why you're excited about the job.
- Write daily stories that give our readers new information and insight on your beats
- Write longer-form stories that take a step back from the news and help our readers make sense of it all.
- Own the beat, dictating day-to-day coverage and thriving on digging out source-driven exclusives.
- Relentlessly develop sources and manage relationships with high-level executives and other community leaders.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
- Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
- A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- Data reporting skills are desirable, although not required — but you should be willing to learn
Additional Job Information
The well-being of our employees is paramount. For that reason, ACBJ offers a variety of rich and competitive benefits including bundled health, dental and vision plans designed to meet our employees' needs. We also provide programs to support mental health and wellness and a generous time-off policy in support of taking the time needed to recharge.
Here are just a few of our programs:
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K Plan with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Multiple Employee Dependent Scholarship Programs
- Commuter Flexible Spending
- Lifestyle Programs (Including incentives for healthy habits)
- Medical Infertility Services
- Corporate discount programs
- Employee Recognition/Service Awards
- And so much more!
(Benefits coverage indicated above may be based on employee participation in benefit programs)