Principal Engineer, Cloud Services
The Principal Engineer is a senior level technology professional with expertise designing and developing complex systems and applications in multiple technology disciplines. This is an independent contributor role that works closely with product owners, project managers, and subject matter experts across the organization to design and deliver large-scale technology solutions.
The Principal Engineer demonstrates the ability to provide guidance and strategic vision and oversight of multiple large-scale projects that are in progress at the same time. A successful incumbent is an expert at synthesizing high-level requirements into systems and sub-systems specifications that are value added solutions to both internal and external customers.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guides, designs and leads multiple implementations of secure solutions within their technology area at the same time. Maintains strategies based on enterprise business strategy, business capabilities and business requirements
- Leads and potentially manages teams of technical resources, while also engaging Principal Engineer peers from other needed technical areas as needed
- Oversees, or consults on, technology implementation and modification activities particularly for new or projects being implemented within their area of expertise
- Creates and delivers working, production-ready reference implementations that can be leveraged easily by other teams
- Works closely with product managers, product owners, security and peers to enable technology security, agility, scalability and resilience to support required product needs throughout the product lifecycle.
- Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems
- Communicates project technical details in formal and informal scenarios and document production servers through formal documentation and inclusion in CMDB
- Provides budget, cost and schedule input for design assignments
- Documents component and subsystem specifications and material requirements
- Responsible for driving technology and completion of activity on time and budget
- Designs, develop, analyze, document and support testing of products, systems or subsystems
- Completes technical projects independently and serves as a mentor and coach to other engineers.
- Reviews customer specifications and requirements, and develop designs to best support them, including security and cost as a key design variable
- Specifies and evaluate supplier components, subsystems and services
- Supports the program design to cost and design for manufacture requirements
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or other related discipline plus 10 or more years relevant technical experience, including at least 5 years leading large scale initiatives and projects with technology such as cloud engineering, hardware, virtualization, software development and/or cyber security.
- Additional relevant experience accepted in lieu of a degree
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to covey ideas and thoughts in a clear, concise, and professional manner.
- Expert knowledge of basic IT technologies (i.e. operating systems, network devices, software development and architecture)
- Debugging skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to understand and apply technical concepts
- Team skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Flexibility, versatility, dependability
- Experience leading and coordinating small-sized technical teams employing the Agile development process
- Ability to mentor and coach less experienced engineers