Operations Manager - Job Description
I. Job Summary
The Operations Manager is responsible for supporting the mission, vision and values of First Watch Restaurants through all that he/she does in their role every day. The Operations Manager will work towards accomplishing stated goals and objectives to achieve desired results while focusing on the long- term profitability of the company and developing restaurant staff.
II. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions in this job description are not all-inclusive of this position’s duties and responsibilities. Reliable and dependable attendance is required.
- Provide management coverage and direct supervision of operations in an individual restaurant.
- Exercise basic shift-to-shift financial control to meet the restaurant sales, revenue and profitability goals.
- Assist in meeting or exceeding established sales, revenue and profitability goals, SLEBITDA movement in a positive direction.
- Manage and assist the General Manager in the management of, all revenues, cash, credit and company collateral and in ensuring that all are properly deposited and accounted for, and are secured into the company’s operating bank account.
- Identify and resolve sales and profit problems at the restaurant.
- Provide efficient and professional service at an appropriate level to meet or exceed customers’ expectations and respond to customer feedback, handle customer concerns/needs and assist other team members in addressing customer concerns/needs.
- Ensure the integrity and operational functionality of all POS and security systems and equipment.
- Ensure that the restaurant equipment is kept in satisfactory working order maintaining the highest degree of usability and cleanliness.
- Ensure company standards in product and restaurant specifications.
- Supervise food handling procedures and operational processes.
- Ensure safe working conditions as required by OSHA and federal, state and local governing bodies.
- Report and arrange for any necessary maintenance and repair work.
- Manage all internal/external communications in a timely and effective manner.
- Verify and complete all required paperwork on a timely basis.
- Supervise, guide and train team members both front of the house and back of the house to meet established objectives.
- Communicate with hourly employees and customers and provide positive feedback and promote a positive image of the restaurant and good employee morale.
- Ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of all positions at the restaurant and proficient in performing such duties, in order to role model and teach appropriate skills and behaviors in the restaurant, and through instruction and supervision, train and develop hourly employees.
- Train staff in all proper End of Day procedures, including check out procedures.
- Regularly counsel and coach hourly employees.
- Entrusted with decision-making authority to suspend employees pending review of the situation by the General Manager, and to discharge an employee immediately for instances of serious misconduct.
- Evaluate hourly staff via formal performance evaluations with the General Manager.
- Set goals and assignments for team members, including recognizing good performance and coaching poor performers.
- Delegate tasks to team members and ensure all required tasks are performed and completed effectively.
- Lead and run a shift effectively as the manager in charge.
- Execute effective use of the Daily Shift Card and Red Book.
- Open and/or close an individual restaurant ensuring all tasks and paperwork are properly completed.
- Ensure maintenance of a safe and harassment free workplace.
- Entrusted to take quick and responsible action in solving problems and to use reason when dealing with and responding to complaints by customers and/or hourly team members’ disciplinary issues.
- Assist General Manager in forecasting and determining scheduling needs for the individual restaurant.
- Prepare and post weekly work schedules, and ensure the schedule is implemented properly.
- Assist in addressing issues resulting from violations on Health or Steri-tech Inspections in a timely and professional manner.
- Safeguard all company assets, including funds, equipment, and the facility and take appropriate action as and when necessary.
- Assist in completing payroll, weekly, mid period and End of Period administration work properly.
- Effectively promote First Watch outside the restaurant.
- Obtain and maintain safe food handler certifications.
- Through communication with the General Manager, handle customer and staff incidents, accidents, injuries and complaints in a timely and efficient manner.
- Regularly interview applicants for employment, assist in making hiring decisions for the restaurant, and regularly coach and train new-hire employees.
- Ensure compliance with federal, local, and state laws, company policies and procedures.
The Operations Manager will oversee a staff of up to 40 employees. The Operations Manager will assist the General Manager in overseeing and supervising revenue operations in excess of one million dollars.
- A High School Diploma
- Completion of the Culinary and Food Expert (CAFÉ) training program
- Minimum two years of experience in a service-oriented, hospitality industry such as hotel, resort, restaurant, retail, entertainment venue preferred
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Regularly work 50-55 hours per week
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and drive for company business as required
- Ability to manage, lead, coach, teach and train others, including with respect to culinary duties and host and service duties
- Knowledge of accounting and financial management principals with focus on budgeting and forecasting revenue goals and objectives
- Human Resources management skills in employee relations, recruiting and retention and employee recognition
- Ability to supervise and oversee a team of hourly employees
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and determine task priorities
- Ability to make difficult and quick decisions
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer skills with emphasis on MS operating systems
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication, presentation and writing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to multitask and prioritize effectively
- Ability to effectively manage teams as well as work effectively as part of a team
- Passion for providing excellent service and quality
Additional Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to frequently stand, walk, view computer monitors, give & receive oral communication, bend, squat, reach above shoulder level, and discern color
- Must be able to regularly lift/carry up to 20 lbs.; occasionally lift/carry up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to do repetitive simple grasping, fine manipulation, and pushing & pulling on a frequent basis
- Must be able to tolerate temporary exposure to extreme temperatures and temperature changes
- A daytime schedule with no night shifts — ever.
- Competitive pay and benefits including health, 401k and paid vacation
- Excellent training
- Opportunities to advance
- We try not to take ourselves too seriously, but there are a few things we look for in our employees:
- Passion for fresh food and customer satisfaction
- Unfailing work ethic and integrity
- Positive attitude and team spirit - we know if you get our "You First" culture right, most of the other stuff will happen naturally on its own
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A good fit for applicants with employment gaps or just entering or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
First Watch is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer - All employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications and abilities. We do not discriminate in our employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by the law.