Health care isn't just changing. It's growing more complex every day. ICD10 replaces ICD9. Affordable Care adds new challenges and financial constraints. Where does it all lead? Hospitals and health care organizations continue to adapt, and we are a vital part of their evolution. And that's what fueled these exciting new opportunities. Optum360 is a dynamic new partnership formed by Dignity Health and Optum to combine our unique expertise. As part of the growing family of UnitedHealth Group, we'll leverage all our resources to bring financial clarity and a full suite of revenue management services to health care providers nationwide. If you're looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The Patient Access Manager is responsible for effectively leading and directing the work of assigned staff within the parameters of designated performance standards and metrics for Ambulatory Patient Access and Financial Clearance Activities including eligibility and benefit verification and referral and certification management. The manager is expected to motivate staff to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction and to meet the organization goals for customer service and financial performance. The Manager interacts with other internal Optum and Client managed departments, serving as a representative of the broader Optum360 Patient Access Leadership Team. The manager will be the voice of Optum360 success to the client, attending collaboration and metric meetings as required and supporting the core values of Optum360.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Provides system level oversight for the development of processes and initiatives designed to improve Revenue Cycle performance in assigned areas which includes:
- Insurance Eligibility / Benefit Verification
- Service Authorization (Pre-Certification / Authorization / PCP Referral Management)
- Patient Liability Estimation
- Other duties as assigned
- Provides system level oversight for Optum360 client improvement programs and initiatives related to assigned Patient Access activities
- Effectively participates in sectional Quality Assurance, Patient Satisfaction, Employee Engagement and Process Improvement activities; ensuring associate understanding and commitment, as well as expected process improvement outcomes.
- Leads by Example: promotes teamwork and operational relationships by fostering a positive, transparent and focused working environment which achieves maximum results.
- Maintains and demonstrates expert knowledge of the application of Patient Access processes and best practices; drives the integration of Optum360 Patient Access related business objectives within the parameters of the client environment.
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Optum360 Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, and decisions.
- Serves in a leadership role and promotes positive Human Resource Management skills:
- Interviews, selects and is accountable for the on-going development and evaluation of individuals within the area of responsibility
- Develops associate loyalty and retention through effective associate engagement, inclusion and participation; Proactively solicits, listens to and addresses associate suggestions; Promotes a professional environment that recognizes and respects diversity
- Develops associate work schedules to ensure cost effective staffing that meets customer requirements, while promoting an economical, efficient workforce and considers associate work-life balance
- Establishes, implements and evaluates on-going performance improvement programs, utilizing an interdisciplinary approach; Escalates to the Senior Director any unfavorable trends or disciplinary actions; Provides managerial follow-up related to performance, up to and including disciplinary actions and termination
- Provides staff training and mentoring to promote growth and development of assigned resources
- Responsible for the financial and personnel management of assigned areas
- Provides leadership for departmental services through collaboration with customers, employees, physicians, clinics, other Optum360 / client departments and services, vendors, etc. Scope of job duties, include and are not limited to:
- Directly responsible for effectively managing the assigned Patient Access activities and staff members.
- Uses knowledge of Patient Access industry leading practices, performance metrics and monitors, and other documentation in order to expedite appropriate use of resources and ensure 3rd party payor and client compliance
- Manages assigned staff in order to ensure steady workflow balance and high quality outcomes:
- Effectively directs and facilitates a multidisciplinary team to achieve its desired outcome
- Creates a culture supportive of personnel, fostering individual motivation, teamwork and high levels of performance and accountability, and staff retention
- Supports a collaborative, participative management style
- Fosters teamwork atmosphere between business and clinical stakeholders
- Maintains close business relationship with associates at the regional and local levels by ensuring onsite and virtual presence at regular intervals and during special events
- Prepares required reports using statistically sound information, displaying content in easily understandable format; Escalates to senior leadership and client management.
- Other duties as needed and assigned by the Associate Vice President or in coordination with other Optum360 Patient Access or Revenue Cycle Leadership, including but not limited to leading and conducting special projects. Develops project work plans, facilitates resource allocation, executes project tasks and obtains assistance from other intra and inter-functional resources, as required.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, Optum360’s Compliance, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Minimum of 5 years in supervisory / management role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or a related field or equivalent experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational skills required (ability to multi-task, produce rapid turnaround, and effectively manage multiple projects)
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- Consulting and project management experience in revenue cycle design and optimization highly
- Certification within Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) and/or the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM)
- Experience participating in large Patient Access-related IT and/or Contact Center program implementation
- Prior experience with the major Patient Access technologies currently in use, and/or other “like” systems
- Experience working with telecommuter/virtual teams
Optum360 is a dynamic new partnership formed by Dignity Health and Optum to combine our unique expertise. As part of the growing family of UnitedHealth Group, we'll leverage all our resources to bring financial clarity and a full suite of revenue management services to health care providers nationwide.
If you're looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $79,700 to $142,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.