Position Title: Executive Director, Blue Zones Project, Jacksonville, Florida
Blue Zones, LLC employs evidence-based ways to help people live better, longer. Our work is rooted in the New York Times best-selling books The Blue Zones, Thrive, and The Blue Zones Solution—published by National Geographic books. We are applying the tenets of The Blue Zones in over 70 communities throughout the U.S., significantly improving health and lowering healthcare costs. Our work, which focuses on optimizing living environments and policies, has occasioned double digit decreases in obesity and smoking as well as measurable increases in life satisfaction. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, WSJ, NPR, National Geographic and the New England Journal of Medicine. For more information, visit www.bluezones.com.
Blue Zones is working collaboratively with Baptist Health and a coalition of leading organizations in Jacksonville, FL, to make the healthy choices easier and measurably improve the well-being of the population in this dynamic and growing community. This effort involves business, government, universities, schools, non-profits, and individuals joining to support an integrated approach to improve the well-being of the community by optimizing living environments and policies. Through this collaboration and movement, residents in the community will naturally adopt healthy behaviors, improve their well-being, and live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. As well-being improves, employers begin to experience lower health care cost trends and higher productivity, driving new economic development while making each community an even more desirable place to live, work, and play.
This position will be accountable for implementation of the Blue Zones Project® (BZP) in distinct neighborhoods in Jacksonville, driving changes to policies in Built Environment, Food Systems, Alcohol and Tobacco while working with the school system to incorporate positive programmatic and policy change for students and staff. In addition, this position will lead the efforts to drive positive changes to the places and spaces where people live, work and play in specific neighborhoods in Jacksonville’s Westside, Northside, and East Jax. For more information regarding Blue Zones Project please visit bluezones.com/bzpjacksonville/.
Essential Job Functions:
● Overall accountability for Community Blueprint development, execution and achieving Blueprint goals and objectives.
● Recruits a team of Community staff that work with government, non-profits, employers, industry associations, schools, grocery stores, restaurants, faith-based organizations, and health care providers to implement permanent changes to environment, policy, social networks, and programs that drive well-being improvement.
● Provide effective leadership for diverse staff and volunteers that creates an authentic Blue Zones Project culture and drives successful outcomes.
● Create and maintain excellent relationships with sponsors and funding partners.
● Facilitates achievement of program and business goals by leveraging relationships with representatives of the government, non-profit organizations, civic groups and Businesses, as well as with senior leaders of Sponsor partners.
● Accountable for operations and financial success. Leads development of short and long-term strategy and business plans.
● Ensures marketing channels are fully utilized to publicize the Blue Zones Project and assist in business development efforts.
● Account Management - able to build and maintain relationships with Sponsors as well as across government, businesses, and nonprofits.
● An effective leader and coach who can motivate teams to successfully achieve project goals and objectives. ● Strong operational skills.
● Good business judgment-possesses business insight, sensitive to industry shifts and business trends, actively identifies new areas of growth, ability to balance data-driven decisions with experience and execute the best decision.
● Ability to manage sponsor relationships while meeting overall business needs.
● Exceptional verbal and written communication skills as evidenced in articulate professional presentations to a group, establishes one-on-one rapport, writing detailed reports, and communicating via email and phone conversations.
● Able to communicate effectively as a project spokesperson with local media and with local/regional/national organizations.
● Results oriented - understands what results are important and focuses resources to achieve them. ● Adept at financial planning and successful budget management.
● Experience working in or with underserved and/or under resourced communities and working in multi-disciplinary, multicultural, and multi-sectoral partnerships.
● Inspiring, influencing, collaborative, and responsible.
● Energized by Blue Zones Project Mission and embodies Blue Zones Project principles.
Must be able to work in a fast paced, changing environment. Must have a growth mentality and the requisite nimble and agile approach to support a dynamic, multi-faceted program. Knowledge of and demonstrated belief in the Blue Zones principles required.
The ideal candidate will be a long-term resident of Jacksonville, familiar with the challenges faced by residents in Jacksonville’s Westside, Northside and East Jax and will have connections to Jacksonville civic and government leadership, community outreach programs, community non-profits and area businesses.
● 10 + years of experience as a leader in operations, as a community organizer and/or managing complex community initiatives or campaigns with diverse volunteer resources. A blend of for-profit and government or non-profit experience is a plus.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences, Political Science, Healthcare, Healthcare Administration or Business required; Master’s degree preferred.
● Experience in lieu of education is also considered.
● Prior training in diversity, equity and inclusion is preferred.
● Resident of Jacksonville required. Position is onsite and will require a COVID-19 vaccination or qualifying exemption.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] with the job title in the subject line.