- This job contributes to Sharp Energy’ success by leading district operations within an assigned service area to create and maintain the Sharp Energy experience for our customers and partners. The district manager is required to regularly and customarily exercise discretion in managing the overall operation of the district within the assigned service area. In particular, a majority of time is spent developing district staff and management talent, overseeing the district’s management workforce, making management, staffing and operating decisions, ensuring district-wide customer satisfaction and service quality, managing each aspect of the district's financial performance, and managing safety and security within the district. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing a sales force and district operations, controlling expenses, employee compensation and payroll budgets, handling personnel issues, accounting, customer accounting and fuel inventory.
- The District Manager is a role model and leader and must solve problems, make informed decisions and manage the workforce and time wisely in order to achieve maximum results. Ensure that all departments within a district safely perform their functions to achieve strategic operational and profit goals while providing assurance of compliance with applicable legal codes, industry standards and corporate philosophy. The District Manager will exhibit and participate in Chesapeake Utilities Corporation's CHOICE Vision, Mission and Values, regarding external customers, internal departments and co-workers.
- Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Develops the district staff and management team within the district to deliver legendary customer experiences.
- Drives the implementation of company programs by motivating and supporting the staff and management team within the district to develop and implement action plans that meet operational and organizational objectives.
- Manages through unusual events to keep district operating to standard.
- Manages with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promote the culture, values and mission of Sharp Energy.
- Plans, identifies, communicates and delegates key responsibilities and practices to the staff and management team to ensure smooth flow of operations within the district.
- Reviews district environment and key business indicators within the district to identify problems, concerns, and opportunities for improvement in order to provide coaching to the staff and management team to take action and achieve operational goals.
- Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Creates district implementation plans to support execution of regional and company initiatives to achieve both operational excellence and business results. Follows up consistently to ensure accountability to plans.
- Monitors and manages district-wide management staffing and compensation levels. Ensures management-level partner development and talent acquisition in order to achieve and maintain district operational requirements.
- Utilizes existing tools to identify and prioritize communications and filters communications to the staff and management team within the district. Communicates clearly, concisely and accurately in order to ensure effective operations at the district level. Supervise all district employees, including but not limited to, the Service Manager, the Delivery Manager, the Customer Service Manager, and the Sales Representative(s).
- Assign duties to employees as required.
- Monitor and evaluate employee performance of all district staff.
- Prepare, review and monitor district financial capital budgets.
- Monitor and review monthly operating expenses.
- Monitor and review monthly sales volumes.
- Prepare projected capital expenditure requirements.
- Monitor all aspects of financial performance.
- Perform on-going operational analysis via data reporting.
- Monitor and review various reports to include but are not limited to: overtime summary, run out summary, lost customer reports, customer gain reports, tank inventory reports, liquid inventory reports, delivery efficiency reports, miscellaneous management reports and appliance inventory.
- Participate in developing customer retention & new customer programs
- Prepare certain bid quotations.
- Monitor and manage retail propane pricing and rates
- Monitor and manage customer gain and loss
- Ensure that Sharp's commitment to quality customer service is instilled in all employees and business practices.
- Monitor all district personnel's quality service skills, making recommendations for improvement as necessary.
- Deal with customers with more difficult problems utilizing superior customer service skills.
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations.
- Conduct monthly safety meetings as required.
- Review and approve all district incident investigation reports.
- Provide leadership to all district personnel.
- Actively participate and support all CHOICE programs.
- Monitor and provide timely reporting of employee performance within the guidelines of the process.
- Maintain positive employee relations.
- Participate in company, industry and community activities, which serve to enhance the company's image.
- Accept participatory roles in various organizations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT, TOOL AND MATERIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for all equipment, tools and materials used by operational personnel, and to also include inventories of parts, appliances, and propane within the district. Overall responsibility for the proper operation and maintenance of the district's bulk plant and transportation equipment.
- Directly supervises all employees in the district. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems under the direction of the President of Sharp Energy.
- Manages or supervises employees in various district departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Also directly carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include;
- The recruitment, interviewing and hiring of the most qualified people to meet the district's needs.
- Conduct orientation, train and coach the staff in execution of daily tasks and to maximize operational performance.
- Responsible for all employee activities to include employment, compensation, labor relations, training and development, discipline and/or termination.
- Interview job applicants; both internal and external, review application/resume; evaluate applicant skills and make recommendations regarding applicant's qualifications and compensation.
- Prepare and maintain employee job documentation, and employee evaluations
- Recommend, develop and schedule training and development courses.
- Review operational reports and records to ensure adherence to Company policies and procedures, monitor store profitability, and manage payroll budgets.
- Oversee compliance of the district staff with established Company policies and standards, such as safekeeping of Company funds and property, personnel practices, security, sales and record-keeping procedures, and overall maintenance of the district by assisting with required audits.
- Help solve problems that affect the district's service, efficiency, and productivity.
- Any other tasks as assigned from time to time.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) or equivalent from four-year college or university; or at least a minimum of three to five years' related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Ability to create, customize and apply intermediate Microsoft Word and Excel skills to many variable spreadsheets and office documentation. Intermediate Windows skills required to navigate, store and apply file folder management, and general software applications. Basic PowerPoint and Access skills needed for presentations, policies and proposals.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information, both verbally and written, and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- A high level of mental activity and concentration are required in order to analyze data, make judgments regarding management decisions, and to handle many related or unrelated items at the same time.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Accesses external resources to support district-wide operations and to execute district and regional initiatives such as, marketing, asset protection and district development.
- Ensures adherence to applicable wage and hour laws for nonexempt partners and minors.
- Solicits customer feedback to understand customer needs and the needs of the local community.
- Utilizes management information tools and analyzes financial reports to identify and address trends and issues in district performance.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- PC experience mandatory, Management experience necessary
- Excellent customer contact skills. Excellent supervisory skills. Collection techniques. Strong organizational skills. Minimum 2 years accounting experience. Operation of at least PC programs (Excel; MicroSoft Word.) Public speaking ability.
- Ability to create, customize and apply intermediate Microsoft Word and Excel skills to many variable spreadsheets and office documentation. Intermediate Windows skills required to navigate, store and apply filed folder management, and general software applications.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Must have good telephone communication skills.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Chesapeake Utilities Corporation is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors. Applicants with a disability that need assistance applying for a position may email [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or Ruth Warner, Director, Human Resources Operations at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].