Data Scientist II
The Data Scientist is a member of the Information Technology team who supports our leaders and other departments and stakeholders in the organization by providing insights gained from analyzing company data. The Data Scientist leverages strong experience and skills with a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of tools to build and implement data models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations to identify insights. The incumbent in this position is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for operational, product and process optimization and uses models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
Mine and analyze data from company databases to drive optimization and improvement of applications and operational processes, marketing techniques and business strategies.
Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, cost savings and other business outcomes.
Develop company A/B testing framework and test model quality.
Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S) in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another related quantitative field (Minimum for a Data Scientist I or II) and a minimum of 1 year relevant experience or more as outlined below for more senior levels of this position.
- Master’s or PHD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field is required for the Senior Data Scientist
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SQL, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Knowledge of Talend and HVR helpful, but not required
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Is familiar with the following software/tools:
- Knowledge of analyzing client and customer survey data and net promoter scores.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Experience querying databases and programming in statistical computer languages: R, Python, SQL, etc.
- Experience using web services: Redshift, S3, Spark, DigitalOcean, etc.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers: Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, Coremetrics, Adwords, Crimson Hexagon, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: RDBM and NoSQL systems, Snowflake, Tableau, Azure Machine Learning, SQL, Map/Reduce, Python, R
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using Tableau
PHYSICAL/EMOTIONAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- For roles located in office or home settings; this job is primarily sedentary and may involve repetitive motions; the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands and fingers, speak, and hear.
- For roles located in the field; this job is primarily active; the employee is regularly mobile and must be able to utilize transportation (such as driving), sit, use hands and fingers, speak, and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and lift objects (up to 10 lbs. weight; up to 4 ft. height).
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to see things from a close distance and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment utilizes florescent lighting; noise level is moderate.
- The emotional demand of the job may cause undue stress from, but not limited to, moderate/heavy workload.
- Reasonable accommodations will be individually assessed and possibly made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Please be advised the job description is subject to change at any time.
Data Scientist II
Intermediate professional role. Moderate skills with high level of proficiency. Works under general supervision with increased latitude for independent judgment. Works on multiple concurrent projects of medium to high complexity. This level is expected to lead data science support activities and ensure effectiveness of the Data Science Program for assigned products, services and business activities. Provides advice to line of business employees and Corporate Officers. Is an active team member, contributes to complex projects to gain experience, shares ideas and suggests process improvements appropriate for level of experience. Consults with peers on complex processes to learn through experience. Typically requires 3 or more years of experience in the data science field and must be knowledgeable in computer statistical languages, machine learning techniques and data architectures.