APPLY AT employment.ku.edu/staff/20682BR
Position Overview :
Analytics, Institutional Research & Effectiveness (AIRE) at the University of Kansas brings analytical and technical staff together to rapidly make progress in Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence and Official Reporting. AIR is charged with modeling university’s data and supporting BI toolsets that empower campus users to make data-driven decisions in a self-service fashion. Finally, the AIR also has a leadership role in university data governance.
Data Modeler/ETL Developer will work in the Data Management team to extract data from source systems, transform data as necessary, and ultimately load data into the university’s Data Warehouse. These extracts must be modeled into dimension and fact tables (i.e. STAR Schema) that ultimately support end user requirements. The developer will work closely with other teams of BI Analysts in identifying requirements and ensuring quality of data. The developer will also monitor daily jobs to ensure they were successful and troubleshoot any issues that arise from jobs failing, loading data incorrectly, etc.
KU is a Research 1 institution, the flagship of the Kansas system, and a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU). It is located in Lawrence, a thriving and progressive community, which lies close to Kansas City. The successful candidate must have appropriate authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins and no employment sponsorship will be provided.
Job Description :
· Develop and maintain ETL processes and/or SQL queries from various source systems.
· Assist the Data Architect with developing a Dimensional Fact Model (i.e. STAR Schema).
· Work on the design and implementation of data integrations.
· Work on web services to extract data from various source systems.
· Work with BI analysts, functional users, and data scientists to develop and further enhance data models.
· Participate in an Agile environment and complete assigned sprint tasks.
· Adhere to basic development principles (e.g. change control, separation of duties, etc.)
· Provide feedback from a technical perspective on requirements documents. Additionally, create technical design document with data flows, process models, etc. to help document the technical approach to meeting end user needs.
Application/Integration Support (20%)
· Support a complex Data Integration environment.
· Assist with ETL Application Tool/Server system and database upgrades/maintenance.
· Work with the Network Operations Center (NOC) to ensure extract jobs are monitored.
· Troubleshoot issues as they arise (e.g. failed jobs, data errors, etc.).
· Assist with Modeling and BI Tool/Server upgrades.
Testing and Validation (15%)
· Determining data sourcing strategies and data validation approaches.
· Defining test conditions and test scripts to ensure system stability and validity.
Other projects as assigned (5%)
1. Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of relevant professional experience.
2. Advanced SQL skills and ability to fine tune the performance of long running queries.
3. At least 1 year of experience with data modeling or BI practices.
1. BI and/or data warehousing experience.
2. Experience working with databases.
3. Experience working with web services.
4. Exceptional time management skills, including the ability to adapt quickly to shifting priorities.
5. University experience.
6. Experience with and passion for working in an agile team environment.
7. Demonstrable troubleshooting skills.
In addition to the online application, the following documents are required to be considered for this position:
- A cover letter (addressing how required are met)
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application review begins Monday, November 29, 2021 and continues until a pool of qualified applicants is identified.
KU is an EO/AAE. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, genetic information or protected Veteran status.