Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Advisory Services (OAS) is seeking a Data Engineer with health care experience to implement and manage cross-domain, modular, flexible, scalable, secure, reliable and quality data solutions that transform data to support analytics and insight generation for our clients. The Data Engineer will implement, test, deploy, monitor, and maintain the delivery of data in a systematic method and will support a wide variety of analytical products and services. The Director of Data Engineering will also partner with the broader OAS Analytics organization to harness the power of client data to facilitate analytical insight and will be responsible for building quality and efficiency into every project.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Support the full data engineering lifecycle including research, proof of concepts, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of data solutions
- Utilize knowledge of various data management technologies to drive data engineering projects
- Lead data acquisition efforts that support numerous health care domains
- Eliminate unwarranted complexity and unneeded interdependencies
- Detect data quality issues, identify root causes, implement fixes, and implement data audits to capture issues
- Implement, modify, and maintain data integration efforts that improve data efficiency, reliability, and value
- Leverage and facilitate the evolution of best practices for data acquisition, transformation, storage, and aggregation that solve current challenges and reduce the risk of future challenges
- Effectively create effective data transformations that address business requirements and other constraints
- Partner with other architecture and engineering teams to make recommendations for changes to data systems and the architecture of data platforms
- Support the implementation of a modern data framework that facilitates business intelligence reporting and advanced analytics, including machine learning models
- Leverage data pipeline monitoring tools to detected data integrity issues before they result into user visible outages or data quality issues
- Leverage processes and diagnostics tools to troubleshoot, maintain and optimize solutions and respond to customer and production issues
- Continuously support technical debt reduction, process transformation, and overall optimization
- Leverage and contribute to the evolution of standards for high quality documentation of data definitions, transformations, and processes to ensure data transparency, governance, and security
- Ensure that all solutions meet the business needs and requirements for security, scalability, and reliability
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of combined experience in data engineering, ingestion, normalization, transformation, aggregation, structuring, and storage
- 3+ years of combined working with industry standard relational and non-relational data storage systems
- 3+ years of experience in managing data assets using SQL, Python, Scala, Java, R or other similar querying/coding language
- 2+ years of experience working with healthcare data or data to support healthcare organizations
- Willingness to support limited travel up to 10%
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Engineering, Math, Computer Science, Analytics, Engineering or other related field
- Depth of experience and proven track record creating and maintaining sophisticated data frameworks for healthcare organizations
- Experience working in Azure, AWS, or google cloud ecosystems
- Experience working with Amazon Redshift, Amazon S3, Hadoop HDFS, Azure Blob, or similar big data storage and management components
- Experience supporting data pipelines that power analytical content within common reporting and business intelligence platforms (e.g. Power BI, Qlik, Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.)
- Experience empowering analytical capabilities inclusive of reporting, dashboards, extracts, BI tools, analytical web applications and other similar products
- Experience working with large data pipelines that transfer and process data using Spark, Scala, Python, Apache Kafka, Pig/Hive, etc.
- Experience engineering large data sets through statistical software (ex. R, SAS)
- Experience contributing to cross-functional efforts with proven success in creating healthcare insights
- Experience and credibility interacting with analytics and technology leadership teams
- Desire to continuously learn and seek new options and approaches to business challenges
- Willingness to leverage best practices, share knowledge, and improve the collective work of the team
- Ability to effectively communicate concepts verbally and in writing
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $64,800 to $116,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Data Engineer, Data Engineering, Data Storage, Data Assets, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote