What does this role look like
Responsible for overall strategy, direction, and management of the Company’s global insurance program, captive insurance company, and Risk Management organization to ensure that the Company is protected from the risk of doing business.
Some of your main responsibilities will be:
- Agent for change to critically evaluate Company’s insurance program, department structure, and overall function to best respond to the company’s operational and contractual risks and provide insurance-based and alternative risk solutions to Company’s business units while maximizing available resources at the most efficient cost.
- Manage Company’s Risk Management function, including the structuring, negotiation, purchase, and management of over 100 insurance policies annually; provide ultimate oversight of claims, risk accounting, and risk administration teams; and serve as primary point of contact for internal customers and third-party service providers, including brokers, underwriters, and TPAs.
- Must have a high level of technical expertise in a wide variety of risks, including marine, trucking, worker’s compensation, professional liability, property, management liabilities, and cargo exposures, among others.
- Strong customer focus and analytical skills are a must. Partner with other Company teams to create and maintain cohesive, aligned enterprise approach to ERM, safety, loss prevention, and insurance functions. Understand new insurance products, market conditions, and financial strength of insurers.
- Advise senior management on emerging exposures and offer solutions to mitigate these risks.
- Prepare loss analyses and budgets, identify exposures, recommend solutions, and implement approved programs.
- Ensure that the cost of risk identified is budgeted and forecasted in compliance with financial reporting policies.
- Oversee management of and expansion opportunities for captive.
- Responsible for annual insurance premiums of approximately $15.5M, insurance program retained claims of $9.0M, operating company deductible retention of $8-$9m, approximately 5,000 employees, assets insured for approximately $3.1 billion, annual operating revenue of $800.0M to $1.0B, department administrative cost of $4M, and approximately 30 Risk Management personnel.
- Bachelor's degree in finance or business or equivalent experience.
- 10 or more years in risk management and insurance required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Strong marine and trucking risk expertise preferred.
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Risk Manager (CRM), or Associate in Risk Management (ARM) designation
- Experience presenting to Sr Level Executives and related stakeholders
What an average day looks like:
- You possess exceptional leadership and communication skills, are able to build and maintain a network of internal and external alliances, and possess a broad-based operational perspective and deep industry knowledge.
- You have a strategic mindset with proven negotiating and management skills.
- You demonstrate proven experience developing, improving and streamlining processes to meet established goals and objectives.
- You effectively manage projects that may vary in nature and scope.
Apply if you are qualified and these competencies describe you:
- Demonstrates self-awareness (our culture thrives on positive intent, which applies to receiving/giving feedback).
- Action-oriented (you figure things out and execute).
- Manage ambiguity (things change so we want to know you can adapt).
- Collaborates (you know five heads are better than one).
- Nimble learning (you’re knowledgeable of a lot of subjects and are not afraid to share and seek new skills and insight).