The Vice President of Compliance promotes a culture of compliance and works in close collaboration with the Chief Compliance Officer. Responsibilities include working in tandem with the Chief Compliance Officer in the development and implementation of the Company’s Corporate Compliance Program (the “Program”) and strategizing with Company leadership to minimize institutional compliance risk. The Vice President of Compliance also works closely with operations to promote a culture of compliance within each of Company regions. Specifically, the Vice President Compliance is responsible for providing oversight of the development, implementation, maintenance and updating of programs and processes to promote the Company’s compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
All Company employees must perform their job responsibilities according to all Company policies, Hospital policies, as well as to accrediting organizations, federal and state regulation, and to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines, as applicable.
- Builds effective relationships by collaborating and influencing business leaders, diverse team members, peers and business partners
- Ensures that the Company's operations are conducted in compliance with ethical business practices, healthcare laws and regulations, organizational policies and other laws and regulatory requirements
- Assists in the oversight and the development and implementation of the Program, Code of Conduct and associated policies
- Reviews the Program annually or more frequently as needed to ensure currency and effectiveness
- Assists with oversight of Compliance Department employees in the discharge of their responsibilities for Program implementation, operation and improvement
- Obtains up-to-date information on changes in laws, rules, regulations, enforcement agency guidance/initiatives and case law developments
- Consistently informs the Chief Compliance Officer of such developments.
- Oversees day-to-day compliance of divisions.
- Works in tandem with operations senior leadership, participates in division leadership meetings/calls and attends regional division meetings
- Serves as a member of the Executive Compliance Committee
- Develops policies, compliance education programs and audit program based on federal and state regulatory requirements
- Works closely with the Chief Compliance Officer on the development and implementation of the annual Compliance Plan, including an annual audit plan to monitor compliance with laws and Company policies/procedures
- Monitors accomplishment of work plan goals
- Recommends revisions as needed to the audit plan to ensure that it continuously focuses on emerging risk areas and identified areas of non-compliance
- Publicizes open channels of communication to provide Company employees with information regarding compliance developments, means for seeking guidance and multiple avenues for reporting suspected non-compliance without fear of retribution
- Ensures prompt investigation of allegations of non-compliance, collaborating with the Compliance Investigations team and Legal Department as appropriate to minimize institutional risk
- Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk and ensures that corrective action plans are developed and implemented when compliance issues are revealed by investigations, audits and other mechanisms
- Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required, consulting with the Legal Department as appropriate
- Promotes the monitoring of corrective action plans to ensure implementation and prevent future violations
- Ensure Compliance staff is highly productive, compliant, ethical, motivated, and professional at all times
- Must be able to work closely with the Chief Compliance Officer, the Law Department, and members of the Company’s senior management team to ensure that decisions are made that are consistent with the Company’s mission and values
- Performs other duties as required
Required Education, Experience and Credentials:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field. JD, MBA or Master's Degree in Healthcare Administration preferred
- License or certification as applicable to the professional degree held. Certification by the Council of Ethical Organizations or the Healthcare Compliance Association is also preferred.
- 10+ years of senior level experience with a multi-site and relatively high-risk employer.
- Demonstrated experience identifying the causes of complicated compliance problems and in developing effective solutions within a large, complex and fast paced culture.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge of the regulatory framework impacting the Company’s operations
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop plans and prepare and present reports to senior management and Boards of Directors