The Vice President Business Banking Sales is accountable for executing the small business and commercial banking sales strategy to achieve strategic priorities, performance growth goals and revenue expectations enterprise-wide through a team of Small Business Bankers and Business Relationship Bankers.
The Incumbent is responsible for driving the activities of the team to provide comprehensive financial solutions to businesses with annual revenues up to $100MM and commercial lending requests up to $20MM including commercial real estate loans (CRE), commercial investment real estate, commercial and industrial (C&I), business secured term loans and unsecured lines of credit. The Vice President Business Banking Sales manages the day-to-day activities of the Small Business Bankers and Business Relationship Bankers operating throughout Company’s field of membership (FOM) and is responsible for the overall performance of the teams’ training and coaching and as well as developing the sales force, attracting and retaining new talent and identifying and addressing obstacles to ensure the team’s success. The incumbent will provide guidance and direction to the team with originating quality loans and achieving or exceeding their annual production goals.
The Vice President Business Banking Sales is accountable for continued development and implementation of the Business Services Retail Small Business and Business/Commercial Banking strategy across all delivery channels to optimize the member experience, drive financial performance results through business loan and deposit growth, and maximize profitability while ensuring productivity standards are maintained. The incumbent will partner with Company’s retail leadership to provide business banking support and management oversight in development and performance of the Small Business Bankers and Business Relationship Bankers throughout the FOM.
The Vice President Business Banking Sales will report directly to the Chief Business Services Officer (CBSO) and play a vital and active role on the Business Services leadership team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide direct oversight, coaching, development and strategic guidance to geographically dispersed business banking sales team consisting of both Small Business Bankers and Business Relationship Bankers.
- Drive new business and commercial loan production and origination through business banking sales team across FOM.
- Work closely and in partnership with the retail leadership team to ensure branch network engagement, achievement of branch target goals and delivery of an integrated and seamless experience for Company members.
- Develop, implement and coach sales management principles to aggressively acquire and retain small business and commercial relationships through the business banking sales team to achieve targeted objectives.
- Provide ongoing group and individual training and coaching to the team in regards to sales techniques, calling strategies, product knowledge/awareness, presentation skills, best practices, and policies and procedures.
- Monitor results of team versus objectives and recommend necessary strategic adjustments to ensure that objectives are reached on a consistent basis.
- Formulate and implement prospecting programs for business development and sales by identifying business prospects and Centers of Influence within the region, organizing resources, building relationships and driving proactive acquisition efforts.
- Ensure that sales quality activities and results for the group and individual bankers is at an achieving or higher level of performance.
- Lead and participate in the ongoing integration of the retail small business banking strategy with the branch network as evidenced by performance against expected goals.
- Lead and develop an effective team through proactive communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Manage the origination and production of commercial loan and deposit products, providing direction and feedback on product profile, price, and marketing and origination channels to complete throughout the FOM, and service members.
- Ensure the team applies compliance and operational risk controls in accordance with regulatory standards and policies; quickly addressing and remedying any issues or concerns.
- Identify needs and arrange group and individual training for retail staff in support of the retail small business banking sales and service effort. Participate directly in training as needed.
- Drives performance of team through established organizational sales management process, which includes: modeling consistent and persistent application of defined behaviors and activities, conducting sales meetings, keeping team members informed and abreast of results and operational components, providing scorecard focus and direction; conducting joint calls, coaching for top-line performance, and establishing partnerships with other lines of business to encourage cross selling across multiple channels.
- Serve as a principle resource and lead business banking team member for business loan origination, new business acquisition, member service issues and escalations, and requests by members and non-members.
- Works with Business Service team to structure credit, deposit, and payment products and services to ensure the organization is meeting the vast needs of our members, while maximizing the returns of the organization.
- Apply effective and sound business credit review, evaluation, structuring, pricing and competitive credit solutions while reviewing credit requests with team and applying credit approval authority as applicable.
- Lead the successful expansion and growth of Business Services across all Company delivery channels through proactive partnership development, collaboration and branch integration.
- Develop and manage an annual Business Banking Sales Plan that drives growth in areas to include: new business loan production, fee income, business deposits, membership and retail referrals.
- Proactively review loan policies, procedures, department operations, industry innovations, trends, competitor services, and regulations to institute or recommend changes.
- Maintain an ongoing knowledge of current regulatory, and policy and procedure changes related to business/commercial lending and deposit services.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of Company’s business products and services.
- Provide strong and visible leadership that fosters trust with Company employees, members and non-members.
- Attract, develop and retain talent and motivate a team of bankers enabling each to achieve their revenue growth objectives. Maintain a strong candidate pipeline and build effective development plans.
- Maintain an ongoing knowledge of current economic trends and conditions, their impact on the credit union and the business loan portfolio, and identify key levers to capitalize on opportunities or minimize downside exposure.
- Demonstrate each of the following Company Excellence behaviors in performing the duties and responsibilities of their job.
- Focus – Focus your full attention by carefully listening to and observing your clients or member.
- Connect – Consistently be friendly and approachable. Demonstrate you care.
- Understand – Listen empathetically and ask questions (70% to 30%).
- Counsel – Recommend solutions based on your client’s or member’s needs and objectives.
- Advance – Ensure that member’s or client’s expectations were exceeded.
- Verify necessary follow-up actions were completed.
- Meet and exceed Company Credit Union member service goals and objectives.
- Meet and exceed Company Credit Union performance and production goals and objectives.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum Experience: Ten (10) years banking and/or credit union experience in a goal oriented environment.
- Minimum Experience: Five (5) years of business or commercial banking experience in a lending and relationship management environment.
- Minimum Experience: (5) years in sales management within the financial industry, preferably a bank or credit union.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of business and personal tax returns and financial statements.
- Advanced understanding of financial analysis including cash flow, profitability, liquidity, leverage and risk management.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully structure complex credit requests that minimize risk while providing member value.
- Strong verbal and written communication and negotiation skills.
- Must be a highly motivated, detail oriented, able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment while applying critical thinking skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required Training: Formal credit analysis training.