Evaluates, designs, secures, plans, documents, and works with a team to deploy new technologies for CSX. Evaluates and integrates technologies for multiple platforms (Containers, Cloud, Linux, Windows, Unix, Middleware, etc.) and hardware. Conducts various analyses, such as total cost of ownership (TCO) and return on investment (ROI) to provide solid, fact based criteria to be used in making technical and architectural decisions. Applicants will be required to engage in ongoing background checks through the duration of this position with continued passing results.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Evaluate new technological directions (operating systems, virtualization / container / cloud platforms, hardware and/or middleware) and participate in setting technology infrastructure strategies
- Provide information regarding the strengths and weaknesses of various operating systems, virtualization / container / cloud platforms, hardware, middleware, databases, and how they interact as guidance for application architectural design
- Evaluate new technological directions (operating systems, hardware and/or middleware) and participate in setting technology infrastructure strategies
- Evaluate new operating system (OS) versions, cloud platforms, container platforms, hypervisors, and hardware (HW) platforms, determine their significance and value to CSX, assist in setting migration strategies, and drive strategy implementation
- Perform in depth analysis of hardware, software, and infrastructure as code to determine performance characteristics
- Provide guidance and create scripts or code to perform a wide range of tasks related to automation or maintenance of both legacy and cloud native infrastructure
- Assist in network architecture design, providing input as to how infrastructure and software components utilize network resources
- Provide expert third level support for areas of expertise
- Perform TCO and ROI analysis on new and existing infrastructure components
- Work directly with hardware and software vendors
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
- Bachelor's Degree/4-year Degree
- 5 or more years of experience in Transportation/Intermodal Operations, Information Systems, or Logistics
High School Diloma/GED
6 or more years of experience in Transportation/Intermodal Operations, Information Systems, or Logistics
Graduate Degree or higher
5 or more years of experience in Transportation/Intermodal Operations, Information Systems, or Logistics
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of multiple Operating Systems (Linux, Windows, UNIX, AIX, z/OS) on multiple Hardware platforms (Intel, AMD, RISC, IBM z/p/i-series) and expertise in some
- Knowledge of multiple database types (relational, key-value store, graph, etc.) and the key infrastructure requirements of each type
- Knowledge of multiple relational database versions (Postgres, Oracle, SqlSever, DB2) and the strengths and weaknesses of each
- Knowledge of automation and orchestration tools such as Ansible, Ansible Tower / AWX, Puppet, Chef, or vRealize Automation / vRealize Orchestration)
- Knowledge of public and private cloud platforms (Kubernetes / Redhat Openshift, AWS, Azure, Google/GCP)
- Current knowledge of virtualization / containerization concepts and open source and vendor provided tools relative to cloud native architecture
- Knowledge of a wide range of products across multiple OS / HW / SW platforms and expertise in some of them
- Knowledge of multiple scripting or programming languages and expertise in the languages pertinent to the OS/HW specialized within
- Familiarity with source control tools and concepts (Git, Jenkins, Atlassian, etc.), knowledge of integrated CI/CD pipelines or Infrastructure as Code preferred
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, DNS, WINS, BIND and other IP protocols and tools pertinent to specialization
- Knowledge of network architectures, network security design criteria, and how this can impact infrastructure
- Knowledge of IoT systems, IoT management platforms, or Edge computing platforms.
The CSX Leadership Model is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following: producing results, creating change, and inspiring excellence.
- Hours which include rotating on-call responsibilities which may be outside standard hours
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (may include a non-standard work week)
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement; membership is required
Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. When a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete medical screenings and a background check.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information.
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.