UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs is the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group. We're a diverse team of curious thinkers and experts in big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and scientific and clinical research searching for new ways to help people live healthier lives. We partner with world leaders in health care delivery, research, and technology to create disruptive solutions that serve patients, caregivers, providers, and commercial and government payers.
More equitable, effective, and affordable health care - that's our goal. We aren't just trying to improve the care an individual receives. We're building a future where the health care system works better for everyone.
Area: Digital Twin
We are seeking Senior Principal Research Scientist with experience in Digital Signals and Digital Therapeutics. You will lead research efforts to develop innovative algorithms to that leverage multiple sources of data (e.g., wearables, mobile devices, IoT, natural language, claims) to identify early signals of disease onset and progression and drive real-time precision interventions. You will work with an interdisciplinary team to apply signal processing, machine learning and advanced computing methodologies in support of novel products for health interventions.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Lead research projects in digital signals and digital therapeutics
- Develop innovative algorithms for leveraging multiple sources of data (e.g., wearables, mobile devices, IoT, natural language, image, claims) to develop early signals for detecting health state changes
- Develop and evaluate predictive models on large datasets to track patient health state
- Develop and evaluate predictive models on large datasets to track patient health and identify decline or improvements in health
- Develop algorithms to analyze, optimize and personalize interventions to improve overall patient health
- Document research findings thoroughly and maintain well organized code
- Collaborate within cross-disciplinary research teams including product teams and expert domain scientists
- Author/co-author papers, posters, proposals, and presentations
- Mentor and guide outputs for early career colleagues in related field
- Support projects and initiatives that are of major strategic value to Optum Labs
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- MS degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field
- 9+ years of research or industry experience
- Experience developing Digital Signal based applications or Digital Therapeutics solutions
- Experience training and evaluating machine learning models (e.g. tree-based models, neural networks) and a good understanding of statistical techniques and concepts
- In-depth experience with Python and the Python data science libraries (NumPy/SciPy/Pandas/scikit-learn/etc.)
- Experience working with healthcare data or analyzing wearable/sensor/image/speech data
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- PhD in Computer Science, Information Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field
- 6+ years of research or industry experience
- Experience working with frameworks such as AWS Machine Learning frameworks or Databricks
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as Torch, Theano, or TensorFlow
- Experience with advanced machine learning techniques (e.g., deep learning, multi-task learning, time-series modeling etc.)
- Experience with analysis and visualization of large sequential and time series data sets
- Experience presenting work at conferences and writing peer review publications
- Experience in the healthcare industry
We Lead With Diversity, Inclusion And Compassion
At Optum Labs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to “walk in each other’s shoes” and open doors for our peers.
UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional, and national organizations that share these values through joint initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Through our Connected Communities, employees can connect with others who have similar – or different – life experiences and backgrounds. These groups are led by peers, supported by Human Capital, and championed by leaders.
We Invest In Talent
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours.
At Optum Labs, employees are our first customers. That’s why we offer virtual work environments – to provide work/life flexibility via telecommuting. While it can be a struggle to be a telecommuter, it can also provide enormous benefits for your personal and professional life.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $113,500 to $218,100. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $113,500 to $218,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.