As a key member of the Produce department, the Produce Clerk assists our guests in choosing high quality and unique fruits, vegetables and other various specialty Produce items. The produce clerk is part of the team which ensures that a variety of product is fresh and appealingly displayed for our guests while maintaining great guest service.
What you will do in a typical day:
- Guest Service is a priority! Greet guests, answer questions in a friendly manner, proactively assist guests with accurate and timely information, make product/service recommendations and accommodating special requests.
- Prioritizing department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines is a must.
- Maintain knowledge of products throughout the store, weekly ad items and work across departments to provide and assist guests in finding products & complete meal solutions.
- Be knowledgeable and able to differentiate between all the various types of produce merchandise including taste, preparation method or use, and price differences between varieties of similar classes of products
- Stock product and displays ensuring proper grading, rotating, crisping, trimming, wrapping, watering and company sanitation practices are followed in in accordance with company policy and product code dates. Make use of the oldest products first (first in, first out).
- Fill and build displays; make sure product is priced accurately.
- Follow Quality and safety procedures by:
- Inspecting and storing products to ensure quality, following proper rotation, cleaning, sanitation procedures, operating equipment in a safe and focused manner while tracking date and rotation of products and completing any necessary reports
- Monitoring temperature of cases, coolers and storage areas and report any failures to the Produce Manager or Manager on Duty.
- Following all company guidelines and procedures to include but not limited to safety and sanitation and preparation while cleaning including disassembling, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all equipment within the work area. Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations
- Observing all store rules, Company policies and handbook guidelines, shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by store management.
- Wearing approved hat, hair net, nonslip shoes, and/or beard guard.
- Demonstrate advanced product knowledge; maintain awareness of new products and educate team members on products. Implement and maintain regular sampling and engagement in the Produce Department, including complementary products.
Working Condition & Physical Requirements
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, repetitive grasping, lifting, bending, reaching and exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his/her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Responsible for moving or lifting an average of 10-60 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 80 pounds occasionally
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights, overnights, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Ability to use tools and equipment, including knives, ladders, step stool and box cutters.
It’s a bonus if you bring:
- Experience in the retail, restaurant, or hospitality industries
- Produce and/or grocery store experience
- Cash handling experience
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and related medical conditions, national origin, genetic information, uniformed service, veteran status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
The statements in this job description are provided to describe the general nature and level of work expected in this role. While these statements include the essential functions of the job, they are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. As we work as a team, there may be times team members are needed to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities based on business needs.