The Principal Software Engineer will lead AAP’s web development product team. AAP is currently in the process of a major shift in technologies and this position would play a key role in the future of our eCommerce business. We are looking for a self-driven individual who can partner with product owners and architects to take our eCommerce website to the next level. This person will also have responsibility of guiding other Sr. Developers and Developers on the team, as well as coordinating closely with other members of the team such as QA, DevOps and Security.
With tremendous focus on eCommerce transformation, this is a key role for AAP with high visibility and great growth opportunity.
NOTE: Open to remote work within the US
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Principal developer of web applications
- Lead the development effort on website with ownership on code base
- Work closely with partners and offshore locations team
- Integrations with third-party systems via API
- Provide technical guidance in software design and development activities.
- Assist in maintenance and upgrades of existing software applications.
- Participate in design reviews and recommend improvements.
- Provide support in all phases of SDLC and ensure delivery of high-quality products.
- Provide training and mentorship to other engineers.
- Analyze and troubleshoot application issues in a timely fashion.
- Develop most effective technical solutions to meet business requirements.
- Work with other Engineers in planning, prioritizing and executing assigned tasks within deadlines.
- Assist in risk assessment and mitigation activities.
- Attend team meetings to communicate project status and discuss new ideas and any issues.
- Recommend new technologies to ensure quality and productivity.
- Assist in technical audits and implementation of said audit recommendations.
- Work with QA team in preparing test cases, plans and procedures.
- Other roles as needed by the business to ensure timely release, i.e. Project or Release Management
- Live our Values – Inspires, motivates and ensures team is focused on serving our customers
- Lead with Courage – Makes bold and timely decisions
- Deliver Winning Results – Takes broad accountability for achieving team goals and objectives
- Analysis – Analyzes Information
- Managing Execution – Delegates and Monitors
- Innovation – Engages in Innovation
- Focus on Service – Deliver Service Requirements
- Collaborating – Collaborates with Others
- Communication – Writes and Speaks Effectively
- Leveraging Diversity – Understand and Respect Differences
- Results Orientation – Drives for Results
- Establishing Trust – Shows Integrity
- Adaptability – Shows Resilience
- Production Operations and Support – Defines and Executes Support Procedures
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ideal candidate will have 6-8 years of software development experience with 2-4 years experience in the below technologies.
- RESTful API Development
- Swagger / OpenAPI
- AWS and/or Azure Cloud Technologies
- General software design patterns
- Agile software development methodologies
- API Performance and End-to-End Testing
- Relational Database Querying
- New Relic for monitoring and alerting
Nice to have
- E-commerce Application Development
- Analytic and algorithmic thinking
- Basic DevOps experience
- Shell Scripting (e.g. bash)
- Non relational databases
- Document DB (e.g. MongoDB)
- Time Series DB (e.g. InfluxDB)
- UI primitive/theming tools such as Emotion, Rebass, etc.
- Event Streaming
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.