OUR PEOPLE: Crowley is a privately-owned marine, transportation and logistics company providing worldwide solutions since 1892. We have over 6,000 high-performing team members in 35 countries and Caribbean territories, who are diverse, encouraged and deliver on their commitments. We are Crowley, the people who know.
THE CROWLEY WAY: We believe in and celebrate the power of collaboration between people with diverse backgrounds and experiences who share their differences and are driven to achieve business and personal goals. We support the development of our high-performers and are committed to guiding them every step of the way.
SUMMARY: Responsible for creating the architecture strategy and buildout of our cloud-based solutions in AWS, with an emphasis on serverless technologies and infrastructure automation tools like Terraform and Cloud Formation / CDK. You will collaborate with Business Partners and our users in defining requirements, designing, and implementing pragmatic solutions that serve current needs and strategically align to our long-term vision in addition to providing technical guidance and stewardship to team members in achieving overall team goals.
- Strategically lead architects and developers to implement our most complex technical solutions
- Design, Improve, and modernize the application architecture to efficiently utilize modern design patterns, cloud services, serverless architectures, and data designs to support enterprise technical strategy and development
- Be a trusted advisor for all aspects around our Cloud-Native Suite
- Lead the entire lifecycle of a project / feature from inception to production
- Design, develop, and maintain tools, services, and reusable modules and frameworks to automate provisioning of cloud infrastructure
- Provide Engineering teams with standards and best practices on how to deploy and consume cloud services
- Proactively seek opportunities to improve team operational efficiency and consumption of cloud services
- Provide training and documentation of services and modules for internal usage
- Conceptualize, develop, deploy, and maintain highly scalable CI/CD solutions with standards and best practices
- Partner with various stakeholders to identify potential use cases transpiring into requirements for future enhancement or innovation
- Write and maintain documents to serve specific objectives (e.g. innovation proposal, design review, and user documentation)
- Work to integrate cloud solutions with existing enterprise tools and systems
- Analyze the current enterprise architecture to identify weaknesses and opportunities for improvement using cloud solutions
- Ensures compliance of solutions to architectural standards
- Perform evaluations of enterprise cloud technology standards, tools, products, and solutions to identify opportunities for improvement
- Keeps abreast of emerging cloud technologies and evaluates vendor offerings to determine best fit for business needs
- Coordinate with team members to ensure successful delivery of solutions to the customer
- Develop and implement best practices for software and system architecture
- Create the technology road map to achieve business goals
- Act as a mentor to other developers to help improve technical and professional skills
- Drive technology innovation through research and market analysis and share emerging technology trends with leadership.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in computer science, business or a related field; or a combination of post high school education and experience.
- 8+ years of experience architecting, designing, and building enterprise systems to solve complex business needs.
- 3+ years hands-on experience with Cloud-Native technologies (e.g. AWS / Azure / GCP / Kubernetes) preferred.
- Excellent Relational and NoSQL database design and querying skills
- Hands-on public cloud experience building end-to-end data pipeline solutions, preferably in AWS
- Superb understanding of modern software development practices (e.g. Microservices, Containers, Infrastructure as Code)
- DevOps Experience with Infrastructure automation like Terraform, or Cloud Formation and CI/CD Technologies like Azure DevOps, Gitlab, Jenkins, and Bitbucket
- Strong quality focus including automation, design reviews and test coverage
- Strong understanding of Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, including conveying technical information to technical and non-technical users
- Strong active listening, conflict resolution, negotiation, consensus-building skills, and passion to learn new technologies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/external business partners
- Ability to document existing and new processes
- Ability to evaluate process effectiveness and develop change or alternatives
- Ability to function effectively with, or as part of a team
- Ability to effectively manage, deliver and coordinate projects across multiple organizations that may vary in nature and scope while applying project management methodology
- Ability to identify and/or document existing and new trends, as well as evaluate and predict their impact on the organization
- Ability to rapidly acquire new knowledge and skills
- Ability to provide subject matter expertise, counsel, and effectively influence others at various levels within the organization
- Knowledge of various business systems in the marketplace as it relates to the industry and/or domain and able to demonstrate and apply operational standards, best practices and align it with organizational strategic objectives
- Knowledge of business architecture to evaluate options and/or implement solutions to support decisions to the process
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the concepts, principles and practices of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Knowledge of standard programming languages, concepts, practices, and procedures within the technology field
- Knowledge of and the ability to understand integration needs and configure third party applications
- Knowledge of and the ability to utilize tools, concepts, principles, and practices of data collection, analysis and testing