Responsible To: Prevention Manager
Statement of Purpose: The position is responsible for implementation of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) education / prevention programs including education to clinic patients, staff, volunteers, and the community.
Primary Tasks: Prevention Specialist (HIV, STD's, HEP C)
1. Implementation of HIV prevention programs.
2. Retains supply of contraceptives, brochures, and other materials necessary for prevention department activities.
3. Maintains confidentiality regarding patient and/or family in accordance with professional standards.
4. Collaborates with clinic team members to coordinate patient services.
5. Provides confidential and anonymous testing to the community.
6. Processes documentation required by state and local funding sources as required.
7. Provides HIV education to members of the community as part of HIV prevention/education outreach.
8. Recruits, trains, and coordinates volunteers to assist with anonymous testing and HIV education.
9. Presents HIV education to staff and volunteers as part of the orientation process.
10. Assists in developing goals and objectives relative to prevention and education.
11. Develops and fosters networking relationships with community and support resources.
12. Promotes and practices CAN's values and mission, and adheres to all policies and procedures.
13. Maintains confidentiality regarding patient and/or family in accordance with professional and departmental standards.
14. Adheres to ethical and legal standards of practice.
Secondary Tasks: Prevention Specialist (HIV, STD's, HEP C)
1. Practices safety, environmental and/or infection control methods.
2. Promotes and practices CAN's values and mission, and adheres to all policies and procedures.
3. Continues professional training and education to advance knowledge and skills of HIV/AIDS.
4. Participates in continuous quality improvement of services rendered to CAN clients.
5. Utilizes resources and supplies in a cost-effective manner.
6. Demonstrates courtesy respect in all interpersonal relationships with CAN clients, staff, and visitors.
7. Maintains professional manner in all aspects of job tasks.
8. Performs all other duties as assigned.
9. Willingness to work on nights and weekends as needed.
Education/Professional Experience: Prevention Specialist (HIV, STD's, HEP C)
1. Bachelor's degree of an accredited school or equivalent experience in social services.
2. HIV prevention/intervention experience
3. Social Networking Strategies trained and qualified
4. Basic Annual Safety Training, HIV 104, 500 and 501
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: Prevention Specialist (HIV, STD's, HEP C)
1. Fluent in Spanish (preferred)
2. Valid driver's license.
3. Effective communication and interpersonal skills with patients, visitors and staff members.
4. Visual and auditory acuity
5. Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques, a self-starter, work effectively, organized and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
6. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
Physical Requirements: Prevention Specialist (HIV, STD's, HEP C)
- Neat, professional appearance.
- LIGHT- Exerts up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Requires, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word, visual and auditory acuity
- Other Duties: Prevention Specialist (HIV, STD's, HEP C) Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of an employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by applicable law.