Statement of Purpose: This position is responsible for implementation of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) education and prevention programs including education to clinic patients, staff, volunteers and the community. It is also responsible for assessing clients' suitability for PrEP, assisting HIV high-risk clients in initiating, adhering to and managing a PrEP regimen.
Primary Tasks: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
- Implementation of HIV prevention programs.
- Provides confidential and anonymous testing to the community.
- Collaborates with clinic team members to coordinate patient services.
- Processes documentation required by state and local funding sources as required.
- Provides HIV education to members of the community as part of HIV prevention/education outreach.
- Recruits, trains and coordinates volunteers to assist with anonymous testing and HIV education.
- Presents HIV education to staff and volunteers as part of the orientation process.
- Assists in developing goals and objectives relative to prevention and education.
- Develops and fosters networking relationships with community and support resources.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding patient and/or family in accordance with professional and departmental standards.
- Adheres to ethical and legal standards of practice.
- Retain supply of contraceptives, brochures and other materials necessary for prevention department activities.
PrEP Navigation Duties:
- Provide rapid HIV test to clients.
- Assess and address clients' knowledge, attitudes and beliefs regarding PrEP along with intentions to initiate and comply with a PrEP regimen.
- Assessment of clients' level of risk to determine appropriateness fro PrEP.
- Engage high risk individuals in discussions regarding HIV risk reduction and PrEP to educate them in what is required of the patient to ensure the most effective use of PrEP.
- Schedule follow-up visits for monitoring possible side effects of PrEP usage.
- Determine at what point PrEP may no longer be appropriate because of relationship changes.
- Assess clients' health insurance status.
- Assist clients with insurance prior authorizations, enrollments (if necessary) and pharmaceutical company assistance as needed.
Secondary Tasks: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
- Practices safety, environmental and/or infection control methods.
- Continues professional training and education to advance knowledge and skills of HIV/AIDS.
- Effectively communicates and reports progress, new ideas, concerns and outcomes to supervisor.
- Participates in community outreach, education events on a regular basis.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement and support training of services rendered to CAN clients.
- Demonstrates courtesy and respect in all interpersonal relationships with CAN clients, staff and visitors.
- Maintains a professional manner in all aspects of job tasks.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule which will include daytime, evening and weekend shifts as needed.
- Promotes and practices CAN's values and mission and adheres to all policies and procedures.
Responsible To: Education and Prevention Manager
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
- Bilingual preferred (fluent in English & Spanish).
- Effective communication and interpersonal skill with patients, visitors and staff members.
- Strong personal initiative and self-motivation skills.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences.
- A positive attitude and pleasant personality.
- Ability to motivate and engage others.
- Ability to manage priorities in a complex and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel to other clinics and events as needed.
- Analytical skills.
- Able to collaborate with others, professional demeanor, attention to detail and willingness to learn.
- Computer literate with database experience.
- Social Networking Strategies trained and qualified.
- Valid driver's license.
Education/Professional: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
- College degree in related field of Social Services, Human Services, Healthcare or equivalent.
- HIV prevention/intervention experience or community health experience.
- HIV 104, 105, and 501
Physical Demands: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
- Neat, professional appearance.
- Exerts up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly in lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Requires expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word, visual and auditory acuity.
Work Environment: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
This job operates not only in a professional office environment but also at times on a mobile medical unit and at community/outreach events. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
This position regularly requires a flexible work schedule and concessional weekend work.
Travel: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
Is primary local during the business day, although some out of area and overnight travel may be expected.
Other Duties: Prevention/PrEP Specialist: Jacksonville & Daytona, FL Region
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of an employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.