Requisition No: 737026
Agency: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Working Title: OPS BIOLOGICAL SCIENTIST I (Fish Bio) - 77907536
Position Number: 77907536
Posting Closing Date: 09/28/2022
Pending reclassification to OPS Biological Scientist I
Funding for this position is provided by a federal grant that end August 31, 2022.
* Conduct blue crab fishery independent and fishery dependent monitoring in the northeast region of Florida. This position includes rigorous field work, data entry, scientific data analysis, maintenance of equipment, and ability to foster and maintain working relationships with industry professionals. Must be able to work autonomously and maintain excellent communication with supervisor.
* Assist with Florida Horseshoe Crab Watch Program - including maintenance of supplies for volunteer coordinators, data entry, and outreach events with volunteer coordinators and volunteers.
Duties include but are not limited to:
* Conducting fisheries field sampling year-round in a variety of adverse conditions, with state provided vehicle and vessel.
* Coordinating sampling trips with commercial fishermen
* Running successful field sampling trips in the northeast Florida region
* Processing field samples following standardized protocols
* Maintaining and repairing sampling gear and research equipment used in routine fisheries monitoring.
* Entering data into a computer and proof and correct data to ensure accurate entry.
* Maintaining scientific collection records.
* Maintaining good relations with co-workers.
* Participate in Florida Horseshoe Crab Watch Program.
* Purchasing supplies with state issued purchasing card.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in one of the biological sciences.
Preferred Experience (OPTIONAL)
Applicants with boating/trailering experience are encouraged to apply and may be given preference.
Knowledge, Skill(s), and Abilities
The entry-level knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) needed to perform job duties are: Knowledge of methods and gear used for collection of biological or fisheries samples and of personal computers and database software. Ability to perform strenuous field duties in adverse conditions; travel as necessary to conduct field sampling; collect and analyze biological or fisheries data, communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships; and maintain a valid driver's license.
Where To Apply
Applicants are required to apply through People First by the closing date listed. Resumes and supporting documentation may be submitted at the same time of application online.
If you experience technical difficulties during the application process or when attaching documents, call People First staffing at 1-877-562-7287.
WHAT BENEFITS ARE APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
* State of Florida 401(a) FICA Alternative Plan - mandatory
* Workers' Compensation - mandatory
* Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Compensation) - mandatory
* Participation in state group insurance (must meet eligibility requirements. Consult with People First or the servicing Human Resource Office to determine eligibility.)
* Deferred Compensation - voluntary
* Employee Assistance Program - voluntary
WHAT BENEFITS ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
* Any form of paid leave
* Paid holidays
* Participation in the Florida Retirement System
* Reinstatement rights or retention right
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Nearest Major Market: Jacksonville