PenFed is one of the nation’s fastest growing mortgage teams. We’ve created four new regional sites that are work-from-home opportunities for mortgage professionals. Our team members can be located within a 100-mile radius of each of the following cities: Phoenix, Dallas, Charlotte, and Jacksonville. At PenFed, we believe everyone who dreams big and works hard deserves great rates and rewards. If you agree, you belong here.
PenFed is hiring a Mortgage Underwriting Quality Specialist at one of the following locations: Dallas, Texas; Phoenix, Arizona; Charlotte, North Carolina; or Jacksonville, Florida. The purpose of this job is to assess daily quality assurance (pre-funding) and quality control (post-funding) defects and cure post closing audit and repurchases findings. The quality specialist will rebut as needed, ensure accurate area of responsibility is assigned, cure where possible, and aggregate valid deficiencies for leadership.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Assess the accuracy and integrity of the information used to support the lending decision and adherence to federal and state compliance requirements, policy and procedures, and investor requirements.
- Ensure consistent feedback to production management as it relates to quality and escalation to Senior Management when no corrective actions occur.
- Collaborate with business units to ensure root-cause analysis is incorporated into the correction action process; partner closely with training department and business controls.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy, departmental productivity and quality team goals.
- Participate in the identification and monitoring of trends to provide consistent and actionable feedback to Senior Management on gaps in need of improvement.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting to management as required.
- Support monthly quality meeting to discuss trends and recommendations.
- Assist in assessing defect ratings based on investor’s loan eligibility requirements.
- Follow up on outstanding deficiencies.
- Understand and interpret compliance and credit underwriting documentation.
- Assist with maintaining Pen Fed’s compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances by abiding by PenFed compliance program and all policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or combination of education and experience that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to satisfactorily perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of three (3) years of underwriting experience.
- Experience working with Encompass LOS.
- Excellent research skills and ability to clearly document and articulate findings.
- Requires attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills to communicate with internal staff and external clients as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call may be required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.