Vaco is looking for a Medical Coder (Risk Assessment) for a growing healthcare organization.
Our risk adjustment coders play an integral part in our organization by helping providers communicate the entire health status and acuity of their patients to health plans. MRA coders review the patient's medical record prior to the patient's appointment to identify all health conditions/diagnoses that affect the patient's wellbeing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Review clinical documentation and assign accurate diagnosis codes according to CMS guidelines
* Verify the appropriateness of the ICD-10 code to include required supporting documentation and treatment plans
* Review medical documents such as progress notes, surgical reports, medical visits and diagnosis report to create educational strategies to ensure correct diagnosis code assignment by the provider
* Review medical records and billing history to determine if specific disease conditions were correctly billed and documented.
* Document detailed chart audit findings including all coding and documentation errors as well as any potential HCC opportunities.
* Improve coding accuracy by performing independent audits of physician records.
* Assist in developing strategic initiatives and training material tools related to HCC score improvement and accuracy for physician group
* Provide training to provider groups related to HCC documentation and coding
* Serves as a subject matter expert on MRA coding
* Perform other assigned duties/special projects on an as-needed basis.
Education and Experience Requirements:
* High School Diploma or Equivalent (Required)
* Requires technical expertise in ICD-10-CM
* Prefer 2 years of HCC coding experience
* Must be a MA or LPN that is interested in getting into coding
* Requires knowledge in Medicare Risk Adjustment (MRA) HCC coding documentation guidelines, rules and regulations
* Can appropriately use coding principles to code to the highest specificity
* Proven success in building relationships and establishing credibility with providers and other clinical staff
* Strong skills in medical record audit and review
* Understanding of healthcare data systems