Job ID: 154563
Oldcastle Infrastructure, a CRH company, is the leading manufacturer of precast concrete, polymer concrete, and plastic products in the United States. Our products range from utility vaults, reinforced concrete pipe, catch basins, drainage and septic tanks, to retaining walls, storm shelters, wall panels, concrete barriers, a variety of prestressed concrete products and more. With more than 80 locations nationwide and 3,000 plus employees, Oldcastle Infrastructure is committed to upholding core values of reliability, quality, and service in cutting edge ways.
This position will be a key resource in developing and completing manufacturing process improvement projects, including lean manufacturing implementation and capital improvement projects at Eastern Region locations. These improvement projects will increase profitability, throughput, and quality; improving the Region’s competitive position. The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for working with operations and sales personnel to identify and implement opportunities for lean process improvement and strategic capital investments to address issues and/or take advantage of opportunities.
Lean Process Improvement – The Manufacturing Engineer will oversee implementation of process improvement and lean activities at the Central Region facilities, including planning and coordinating process improvement and cost savings initiatives, facilitating 5S and process improvement/ lean events, training, and mentoring.
Capital Projects - The Manufacturing Engineer, utilizing input from operations and sales, will develop concepts for investment to address the issue/opportunity, develop a scope and cost estimate for the project, and assist in the justification and approval of the capital request. After approval, the Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for on time, on budget completion and commissioning of the project and its successful attainment of performance objectives.
The Manufacturing Engineer will also provide technical support and direction for process improvement and major maintenance activities at the Region’s 8 operating locations.
Develop New Projects
- Help identify opportunities for significant improvement at Central Region locations.
- Work extensively with operations and/or sales teams to understand opportunities to apply lean process improvement initiatives and/or capital investment to improve profitability and competitive advantage.
- Translate operational needs into project requirements and specifications.
- As appropriate, solicit proposals from vendors/ contractors to address the project requirements and specifications.
- Together with operations and/or sales teams evaluate proposals received.
Force Rank Investment Opportunities
Develop and implement project analysis techniques and processes to select opportunities that optimize the following desired attributes:
- Profit impact
- Time to complete
- Cost to Implement
Lean Process Improvement Implementation
- Provide planning, training, mentoring, and oversight to plant level teams executing lean process improvement activities.
- Participate and lead activities/events as required.
- Conduct training kaizen events.
- Provide training on 5S and lean tools and techniques as required.
- Provide follow up and tracking to insure identified improvement activities are completed as planned.
Capital Project Scope and Cost Estimate
- Define and document project scope and cost estimate.
- Assist in preparing request for capital expenditure (CAPEX) and securing its approval.
Capital Project Management and Implementation
- Manage project design, permitting, procurement, equipment fabrication, construction and equipment installation, testing, start-up, commissioning and training.
- Insure assigned projects are completed on schedule and on budget.
- Assure the completed project attains the performance objectives defined by the approved scope and specifications.
- Work with permitting agencies to obtain all necessary national, state, and local permits.
- Prepare and keep updated an overall project schedule.
- Oversee detailed design and engineering.
- Review and approve drawing submittals as required.
- Approve all commitments and expenditures related to the assigned project.
- Track project costs to assure compliance with established budget.
- Work with Regional Procurement Manager to prepare purchase order contracts for major vendors, engineers, and contractors.
- Assist procurement in monitoring compliance with specified terms and conditions of the contracts.
- Insure all on site activities are completed safely and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Conduct periodic project review meetings as necessary to coordinate project activities with other site activities.
- Monitor and oversee all on site construction activities.
- Oversee system check out, testing, training, and commissioning.
- Manage punch list completion for project close out.
- Conduct performance testing, as applicable.
Identify New Opportunities
- Stay abreast of new technology and make recommendations for its application to the Region’s operations to improve profitability and competitiveness.
Process Improvement and Technical Support
- Provide technical support and direction, as assigned, to address specific process/equipment improvement opportunities/issues.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or at least 10 years of experience in a Plant/Process Engineering role in an industrial setting.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in plant or project engineering in an industrial setting, preferably on the operating staff in a continuous process manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing techniques.
- Track record of achieving positive results using lean manufacturing techniques. Black belt preferred.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Proficiency in Excel and MS Word, project management tools
- Effective team builder and leader with the ability to inspire and motivate a diverse team within a highly matrixed environment
What CRH Americas Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle Infrastructure, a CRH company, is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our career site. Please complete your online profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
CRH Americas is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.