With an in-depth understanding of design intent and the ability to realize concepts through the execution of the creative process, the Lighting Designer, Sr. serves as a one of the creative leaders and representatives for Disney Live Entertainment's Lighting Design department at the Walt Disney World Resort. The Lighting Designer, Sr. develops Lighting Designs for new live shows, and facility infrastructures, and the remount of existing seasonal shows. A Senior-level Lighting Designer must demonstrate abilities in Lighting Design, while specializing in an area of expertise. You will be the accountable leader and subject matter expert for Laser Show/Systems Design.
You will report to the Principal Lighting Designer.
- Design and execute Lighting Design projects, with a specialized focus on the design, installation, and sustainment of Laser Shows/Systems.
- Participate in a project's creative development, culminating in the production of Lighting/Laser designs for live shows and facility infrastructure as assigned.
- Lead the design of large-scale, long-term projects, with potential oversight of other team members.
- Develop Lighting/Laser budgets, schedules, and labor requirements; maintain up-to-date show documentation; and partner with consultant Lighting Designers and vendors to ensure Disney quality, compatibility, training, and proper documentation of all Lighting services delivered.
- Promote Company-wide standards and efficiencies; function as a mentor in the development of Technicians and Project Assistants/Planners; and exhibit the knowledge and ability to represent the Principal Designer and the department when called upon.
- This Lighting Designer, Sr. position will also conduct ongoing Entertainment Show Quality evaluations of existing venues and offerings, providing support to sustain the original show design intent.
- Be Laser subject matter expert and have extensive knowledge and experience designing and executing Laser Systems (including components, infrastructure, safety parameters, and controls requirements); and experience in the manufacturing of Laser Light Shows (including content creation, programming, testing, commissioning, and training of show operation procedures).
- Understand and administer all applicable standards, and coordinate with internal partners (Laser Safety Officer, Technical Direction, Design Assurance, Show Control, multiple Engineers) to design these Laser Shows/Systems.
- Engage the appropriate government authorities (FDA-CDRH and FAA) when facilitating the acquisition of new Laser Light Show variances, or the extension of existing ones, and manage the creation and revision of all documentation and processes required to satisfy and uphold compliance with federal regulations.
Basic Qualifications :
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the Entertainment Industry working in theatrical design, show development and operation of live shows/events
- Experience with creative process and the development of a cohesive design, and ability to collaborate with other designers, directors, writers, and producers
- Experience with current Lighting/Laser technology and industry standards for all aspects of Lighting/Laser Design (theatrical, industrial, concert, themed environment), as applied to live show and facility systems
- Knowledge of Lighting/Laser Design theory and practice, especially as it applies to the creative process, and demonstrated experience in Lighting/Laser Design practice and procedures including show design, system/controls design, and content programming
- Proven ability to deliver on a project's established scope, schedule, and budget
- Natural inclination to produce ideas and the ability to do so with great fluency
- Proven leadership abilities to make decisions, and work with a Master Electrician and Lighting/Laser Crew to prioritize, organize, instruct, and problem-solve during installation, focus, and cueing through delivery of project
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, AutoCAD, and industry specific software)
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule, including nights, weekends, holidays, and travel
- Experience in facility design, engineering, and construction
- 2 years' experience in live show development with The Walt Disney Company
- Knowledge of the Walt Disney heritage and culture
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, and for extended periods of time
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual proficiency
Required Education :
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Theater Technology and Design, with focus on live show Lighting/Lasers
Preferred Education :
- MFA in Theater Technology/Networking or Lighting Design or equivalent work experience
Additional Information :
Our Benefits: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits