Type of Service: Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Purchasing
Title: Lease Accountant
- Could be temp to hire for the right candidate.
- Is this position onsite, remote or hybrid? - Remote
- What are the top 3 skills you are looking for? - Attention to detail, accounting experience, advanced excel, contract experience
- 4-year degree required? - Yes
- Lease Accountant II is responsible for operational data integrity for all Lease Accounting functions, which includes but not limited to full-cycle accounting for leases, tenant relationships, reconciliation balance sheet accounts and preparing ad-hoc reports as requested by management.
- Interpreting lease language and set-up leases according to ASC842.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly, and annual accounting processes to accurately record lease revenue/expense for financial reporting.
- Prepare all journal entries including expense accruals, amortization and depreciation, gross potential rent, straight line rents and all other journal entries necessary to ensure books comply with GAAP.
- Review and tie out all A/R reporting at month end.
- Prepare Balance Sheet account reconciliations and analysis.
- Prepare monthly straight-line analysis, ensuring that minimum rent amounts and straight-line. dates are properly recorded in MRI in accordance with lease terms, are accurately reflected in the balance sheet and are in accordance with ASC842
- Analyze and Interpret lease terms for proper accounting treatment and set lease terms up in MRI.
- Ensure that all documentation received from the tenants accurately reflect Gross Sales as defined by the lease terms and are accurately stated in MRI.
- Prepare and post tenant scheduled charges and adjusting charges in MRI.
- Invoice tenants based upon lease terms including but not limited to minimum rents, percentage rents etc.
- Proactively work with tenants to collect payment and resolve outstanding balances.
- Prepare documentation, schedules and provide support for all audits.
- Communicate and maintain strong working relationships with Tenants, Internal and External Auditors, Finance Leaders and Analytics teams.
- Provide Aging updates to management.
- Assist leadership teams with special projects, research, and supplemental reporting.
- Stay abreast of changes in lease accounting and provide leadership with updates, impacts and solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent
- 2+ years of lease accounting or contract accounting
- Fast Paced
- Experience of GAAP and accrual-based accounting
- Must have advanced Microsoft Excel skills. Knowledge of Oracle & MRI a plus, but not required
- Excellent judgment with ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Organized and detailed oriented with strong analytical skills
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Self-starter and can work independently
- Team player and ability to collaborate with others
- Must be comfortable with answering and placing phone calls to tenants regarding past due balances.
- Ability to remain calm and have patience under pressure
- Mandatory: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent
- Desired: Advanced excel skills and lease accounting