Looking for a chance to drive measurable and meaningful improvement in the use of evidence-based medicine, patient safety, practice variation and affordability? You can make a difference at UnitedHealth Group and our family of businesses in serving our Medicare, Medicaid and commercial members and plan sponsors. Be part of changing the way health care is delivered while working with a Fortune 6 industry leader. Transforming health care and millions of lives starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring. Find out more and join us. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
We are currently seeking an Inpatient Care Management Medical Director to join our Enterprise Clinical Services (ECS) team. This team is responsible for conducting inpatient bed day reviews for UnitedHealth Group's clients; to include local and national commercial employer, Medicare and state Medicaid plans. The ECS Medical Directors work with groups of nurses and support staff to manage inpatient care utilization at a hospital, market, regional or national level.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges
- Participate in telephonic outreach for collaboration with treating providers. This will include discussion of evidence - based guidelines, opportunities to close clinical quality / service gaps, and care plan changes that can impact health care expenses
- Responsible to collaborate with operational and business partners on clinical and quality initiatives at the site and customer level to address customer expectations
- Is grounded in the use and application of evidence-based medicine (EBM) such as the Milliman Care Guidelines
- Chair periodic market oversight meetings with the outward facing Chief Medical Officers, network contractors, nurse management and other internal managers
- Maintain proficiency in all required software and platforms
Although the United Health Services ICM medical director's work is typically concentrated in a region, he or she is part of a national organization and team, and collaborates with peers, nurse managers, and non-clinical employees from across the country. In response to customer need and expectations, Optum is continuously modifying its programs and approaches. Although not a primary job function, medical directors with the interest in doing so often have the opportunity to be involved with change design and management.
Regardless of your role at Optum, the support you feel all around you will enable you to do what you do with energy, integrity, and confidence. So take the first step in what is sure to be a fast paced and highly diversified career.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- MD or DO with an active, unrestricted medical license
- Current Board Certification in an ABMS or AOBMS specialty
- 5+ years clinical practice experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Technical proficiency in computer software and systems
- Current licensure in the state of Florida
- Clinical experience within the past 2 years
- 2+ years managed care, Quality Management experience and/or administrative leadership experience
Transforming health care and millions of lives starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring. Find out more and join us. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Group is working to create the health care system of tomorrow.
Already Fortune 6, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary/hourly range for Colorado residents is $110,200 to $211,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Inpatient, Medical Director, Physician, Telecommute, MD, Managed Care, Case Review