Work with data and other resources to support all roles and functions within the Income Tax group to ensure regulatory compliance and timely and accurate income and franchise tax reporting for federal, state, and foreign jurisdictions.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Work independently with finance and accounting data to produce federal and state income/franchise tax returns. Process requires data analysis, identification of tax sensitive transaction, and the gathering of additional information from the Accounting and Reporting team. Work requires a general understand of tax law and ability to apply it appropriately.
- Work independently to prepare tax provision calculations and estimated tax payments using both accounting data and finance estimates. Process includes researching Federal and state tax law and analysis of both finance and accounting data.
- Provide support and analysis for state, local, and federal audits to various groups within the tax department. Work may include gathering returns and data for periods under audit, as well as preparing analysis workpapers.
- Work independently to conduct technical tax issue research and effectively document findings.
- Work on special projects and cross-functional department initiatives, including process improvements, tax planning, etc.
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
- Bachelor's Degree/4-year Degree
- 3 or more years of experience in income tax
- Graduate Degree
- 4 or more years of experience in Public Accounting, preferably at major accounting firms with a corporate income tax focus
- Railroad industry experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Federal and state income tax laws
- Knowledge of Financial Accounting
- Microsoft Office skills, with strong knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of corporate tax software, preferably Corptax
- Knowledge of Alteryx software a plus, but not required
- Ability to effectively execute income tax compliance responsibilities and project
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to conduct tax technical research with oversight and effectively communicate findings.
The CSX Leadership Model is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following: producing results, creating change, and inspiring excellence.
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (may include a non-standard work week)