Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America's foremost property management firm. We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us.
Performs highly responsible management, administrative and professional duties as the General Manager under general policy guidance from the Board, exercises a high degree of independence, initiative, and professional expertise in the administration and day-to-day management of the Association in accordance with policy established by the Board and city, state, and federal laws, Articles of Incorporation, CC R's and bylaws, including regulations and guidelines. Has overall responsibility for all Association departments and contracts.
Essential Duties Responsibilities
The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by positions in this job classification. Not all duties assigned to every position are included, nor is it expected that all positions will be assigned every duty.
- Provide management and leadership to entire community
- Reports to the Regional Director. Collaborate with managers and Regional Director to develop the association's business plan. Ensure the goals and needs of the property, company and its customers are consistently met. Maintains rapport with the community by providing an effective level of responsive and vital customer service, including timely follow through on member requests, disputes, and complaints through team or delegation of duties.
- Monitor, manage, and control the overall operations and activities of Association(s).
- Manage the functions of association contracts while maintaining standards of excellence for processes, methods and personnel.
- Assign and review the work of staff, ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner and prioritize and delegate workload as necessary. Align resources to work assignments and processes to meet business requirements. Provide leadership and direction and assist in the investigation and resolution of internal and external problems and concerns.
- Department heads report to the General Manager. The oversight of these department heads allows for continuity of standards and policies and allows the evaluation of management programs/services to identify needed changes, enhancements and/or expansions.
- Partner with Regional Director, executive team, and internal departments to develop and lead the introduction and integration of new programs, services and initiatives. Act as liaison to ensure quality service is delivered, to ensure a high level of resident service and achievement of company and property goals and objectives.
- Oversee training and cross-training programs and ensure all direct and indirect associates are aware of and comply with company, government and customer regulations, policies, work procedures, instructions and deadlines. Participate in training programs and webinars as required.
- Provide leadership and work with the Leadership Team to develop and retain highly competent, diverse, public-service oriented staff through selection, compensation, and training and day-to-day management practices that support the company's mission, operating plans and objectives.
- Maintains associates job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining associates planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the contract between the association and FirstService Residential. Ensure all contractual obligations are being met.
- Achieves financial objectives by contributing to the development of the annual budgets; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions; anticipating long-term issues.
- Work with the Accounting Manager and heads of each department to make sure that Association finances remain balanced.
- Review bid comparison analyses prepared by CAM for the sub-associations and prepare and uses the federation Board's Request for Proposal for bid solicitation.
- Keeps the Regional Director informed by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends by providing at minimum, weekly operation updates/reports; remaining accessible; answering questions and requests.
- Prepare, maintain and submit a wide range of reports, contract lists, presentations, documents and manuals as required.
- Maintain awareness of changes in rules, statutes or regulations, including SOP's, and communicate changes to staff. Direct training of staff when new procedures are required to comply with changes, including implementation. Onboard new associates.
- Participate in the development of Standard Operating Procedures and maintain existing procedures. Review processes and ensure they are in compliance with current statute. Manage the communication and compliance of SOPs within teams, managers and internal and external customers.
- Maintain accurate records, files and communications pertinent to the Association and maintain up to date equipment maintenance logs and emergency shut off procedures book. Comply with existing contractual obligations as to records management.
- Review landscape inspections, wet/dry reports and verify accuracy. Oversight of any landscape associates, including contracts and reporting.
- Attend Board meeting and sub-association meetings.
Additional Duties Responsibilities
- Practice and adhere to FirstService Residential Global Service Standards.
- Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct.
- Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules. Notify supervision of unusual equipment or operating problems and the need for additional material and supplies.
- May participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
- Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
- Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned.
Directly or indirectly supervise associates within the assigned property.
- At least five years of experience in local government. Experience as a City Manager or Assistant City Manager experience or equivalent executive leadership in municipal government is preferred.
- Five (5+) years' experience in Property Operations, Hospitality or Construction; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be certified and licensed by the State of Florida for Community Association Management (CAM).
- A bachelor's degree in political science, business administration, public administration, or any other related field from an accredited college or university.
Knowledge, Skills Proficiencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Managing and directing operations of a municipality
- Experience with various types of governmental forms and relationships between professional managers and elected officials
- Delegating authority and responsibilities
- Knowledge of race and ethnic issues in cities
- Understanding of local laws, codes and regulations
- Financial management in city government
- Ethics in leadership, making value-based decisions
- Experience with goal setting and program evaluation
- Negotiation experience to resolve complex and sensitive problems
- Understanding of HR management best practices, staff facilitation and strategic planning
- implementing and overseeing policies set by the Board of Directors
- Knowledge and ability to apply Florida Statutes and Community's documents.
- Knowledge of assets, cash balance, and availability of funds for projects and cash flow management for capital improvements
- Knowledge and understanding of financial statements and reserve requirements for the Association
- Excellent organization, motivation, leadership, management and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking, complex problem solving, judgment and decision-making ability.
- Ability to apply a comprehensive knowledge of particular field of specialization to the completion of difficult assignments.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate and provide guidance to all associate levels.
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, leases and/or regulations
- Must have a strong work ethic and be detail-oriented with excellent organizational and multitasking skills.
- Must have strong proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Proficiency researching the Internet. Previous experience with financial and accounting programs preferred.
- Ability to work with sensitive or confidential information.
- Demonstrated experience managing large, complex accounts or projects. Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently. Must be self-driven with the ability to identify, plan and prioritize business opportunities.
- Knowledge of mechanical operations of a building and equipment preferred.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations within established timeframe
- Ability to adjust to changing circumstances.
Tools Equipment Used
Computer and peripherals, standard and customized software applications and tools, and usual office equipment.
Physical Requirements / Working Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Hours over and above normal office hours will occur, including evenings, holidays, and some weekends. Schedule is subject to change based on business needs.
Work may involve some driving/traveling to various sites.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.