SUMMARY Responsible for reviewing and approving all product resign changes and new product releases. Additionally, the Engineering Manager is responsible for managing the Engineering Team, the Test Lab, and IT.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES . This job description is meant to highlight your priorities, but is not all-inclusive.
- Confer with Management, Production, Sales, Product Management, and Marketing staff to discuss project specifications and procedures.
- Direct reports will include Design Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, Tech Support/Application Engineers, Optisizer Engineer and IT.
- Manages projects to ensure timely completion, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities; and/or to direct the Product Manager to assist with project coordination and communication.
- Manages the VA/VE and Cost Reduction process (quarterly process) to ensure that we are continuously evaluating our existing products and comparing them to competition from a cost and performance basis.
- Assign personnel to specific phases of projects such as technical studies, product design, preparation of specifications and technical plans, and product testing.
- Prepares interim and completion project reports.
- Direct, review, and approve product design and changes for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer requirements, and related specifications.
- Plan and formulate engineering program’s staff; assign, direct, and evaluate their work.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of staff competence according to project requirements.
- Prepare budgets, bids, and contracts, and controls expenditures within limitations of project budget.
- Develop and implement policies, standards, and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department and lab.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, completing yearly reviews for employees, and making decisions about the purchase of materials or services.
- Consult with salesperson(s) on product development initiatives, providing technical specifications as required.
- Set scientific and technical goals within broad outlines provided by top management.
- Coordinate activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test issues.
- Coordinate with Manufacturing to troubleshoot warranty issues, product issues and/or failures and to determine root causes for those problems. To implement changes to prevent future product problems.
- To serve on industry related committees to stay abreast of any industry changes which may impact the company in the North American market and globally.
- Responsible for approving and coordinating any special quotes as requested by Sales. This includes making judgement calls or coordinating with Operations to determine if time-consuming quotes should be completed by the company.
- Direct the Engineering department and work with Marketing and Manufacturing to update computer programs for production of new designs and to improve customer selection abilities.
- Serve as the company expert with all products to be able to answer any technical related questions when necessary.
- May require occasional travel as needed.
- Observe all company policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work additional hours to support the organization’s needs.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the President.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Proficient in the Windows environment, including Microsoft Office Suite required.
- CAD proficiency required, preferably in AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
- Experience in MRP II preferred.
- Proficiency in drawing and interpreting bar graphs.
- Ability to read and interpret English documents, such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Mathematical abilities to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, wattage, amperage, voltage, area, circumference, and volume and to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE : Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Technology, or Business from a four (4) year college or university preferred, and at least five (5) years of engineering experience, preferably in the manufacturing/fan industry.