Statement of Purpose: This position supports the provision of patient care under the oversight of a physician as well as provides HIV prevention and education services on the Mobile Medical Unit. Works as part of an interdisciplinary team to enhance patient care services and increase community access to HIV and Hepatitis C treatment and prevention programs.
Primary Tasks: Medical Assistant/ Community Health Worker
- Greet and room patients into the appropriate exam room on the Mobile Medical Unit and prepare patients for medical examinations and/or point-of-care testing for HIV and Hepatitis C.
- Perform medical intake procedures including measuring of vital signs and documenting patient medical history.
- Perform point-of-care testing for HIV and Hepatitis C, and conduct HIV and Hepatitis C risk assessments and pre and post-test counseling including the provision of test results.
- Prepare patient charts and accurately document patient information and diagnostic results in a timely manner.
- Assist the medical provider during patient appointments.
- Conduct tests and procedures as directed, including venipuncture, urinalysis, blood glucose testing, etc. and perform specimen processing.
- Maintain Mobile Medical Unit supply inventory, including clinical supplies, condoms, educational brochures, and HIV/Hepatitis C test kits.
- Schedule appointments and perform clerical duties associated with patient encounters. Handle telephone calls from patients, pharmacy and laboratory.
- Assist with patient referrals and coordinate services with other organizations and federal or local programs.
- Prepare medical records/documents to other healthcare providers in a timely manner.
- Provide HIV education to the community as part of the Mobile Medical Unite outreach efforts.
- Maintain Mobile Medical Unit logs such as refrigerator temperature logs and HIV testing logs.
- Collaborate with clinical and prevention team members to coordinate patient care services.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient and/or family in accordance with professional and departmental standards. Adheres to ethical and legal standards of practice.
- Assist in the provision of Ryan White eligibility services including proper documentation of patient records.
- Promote and practice CAN Community Health, Inc.'s values and mission, and adhere to all company policies and procedures.
Secondary Tasks: Medical Assistant/ Community Health Worker
- Practice safety, environmental, and infection control methods.
- Participate in ongoing professional development, training and education to advance knowledge and skills related to HIV and Hepatitis C treatment and prevention.
- Utilize resources and supplies in a cost-effective manner.
- Participate in the continuous quality improvement of services rendered to CAN patients.
- Demonstrate courtesy, compassion and respect to all CAN employees, patients, visitors and the community.
- Complete all required annual training in a timely manner to ensure staff compliance.
- Develop and foster networking relationships with community support resources.
- Respond to workplace communications in a timely manner.
Reports To: Mobile Medical Unit Program Coordinator
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: Medical Assistant/ Community Health Worker
- Demonstrated knowledge of HIV medical terminology, prevention, procedures, medications and accepted treatment of practices.
- Demonstrates knowledge of OSHA rules, regulations and mandates to maintain compliance.
- Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques, be a self-starter, work effectively, organize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to read, understand, adhere to and enforce safety procedures.
- Basic (required) to intermediate (preferred) computer skills.
Physical Requirements: Medical Assistant/ Community Health Worker
- Neat, professional appearance.
- Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting of patients
- Exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects, including the human body. Involves sitting, walking or standing for moderate periods of time, as well as traveling on the Mobile Medical Unity for extended periods of time.
- Requires expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word, and visual and auditory acuity.
Education/Professional Experience: Medical Assistant/ Community Health Worker
- Medical Assistant Certification issued by an accredited institution approved by the State of Florida, or a minimum of 3-years' experience working in a healthcare setting, or a combination of education and experience.
- CPR Certified
- Valid driver's license
- HIV prevention or healthcare experience (preferred).
- Experience working with electronic medical records, preferably eClinicalWorks.
- HIV 500/501 Certified (preferred).
Travel Requirements: Medical Assistant/ Community Health Worker
This position will be assigned to staff our Mobile Medical Unit. Travel will be primarily local and occurring during the business day, although some out-of-area, evening, weekend and overnight travel may be expected.
Other Duties: Medical Assistant/ Community Health Worker
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of an employee of this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by applicable law.