Position Type: Part-Time
This position is designed to ensure Club members graduate high school on time and achieve their academic goals.
Certified Teachers are part of a team-oriented Club staff dedicated to serving our youth and creating an optimal Club Experience. This position will plan, supervise and implement tutoring programs, homework assistance, and reading enrichment for youth ages 6 to 18.
This position is responsible for: ensuring youth development principles are incorporated into all programs and activities; providing guidance and discipline to ensure a safe and positive environment for youth; ensuring the incorporation of character development, age-appropriate, and gender-specific programs and activities; ensuring that culturally diverse programs are implemented; assisting, as needed, in the planning, implementation, and delivery of activities and programs for youth ages 6 to 18.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success
This position's primary responsibilities are:
- Provide individual tutoring and homework assistance to Club members and assist volunteers as they provide tutoring and homework assistance to members.
- Design, plan and facilitate activities with members around homework assignments to increase the student's interest and enrichment.
- Provide tutoring for high-risk students who have been identified below grade level performance and/or below average test scores in language, reading, math, and/or science.
- Assists students with special homework assignments and projects.
- Become familiar with current textbooks and learning materials used by students.
This position helps members to make appropriate choices about their education, career, and social, physical, and emotional needs as it relates to educational goals. The position also assesses the developmental needs, interests, and characteristics of youth to develop targeted programs that result in an outcome-driven club experience.
- Ensure programs, services and activities prepare youth for success, promoting the safety of members, quality of programs, and appearance of the Club at all times. Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of the strategic plan by:
- Planning and organizing a range of program services and activities for members, such as field trips, program-specific activities, guest speakers, field trips, etc.
- Initiating new programs with the approval of the Program Director/Unit Director.
- Promoting and stimulating program participation.
3. Ensure quality improvement by monitoring and evaluating program achievement against target goals, recommending modifications that respond to member needs and interests, and participating in weekly Club staff meetings.
- Participate in local, state, regional, and national Boys & Girls Clubs education programs and competitions.
Health and Safety
- Ensure a healthy and safe environment, supervising members in the program area.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the program area.
- Maintain an inventory of program equipment and supplies in good order. Recommend requisitions as necessary.
- Prepare weekly reports for the Program Director/Unit Director regarding activities, special programs, upcoming events, attendance, and other reports as required.
- Maintains a daily written schedule. Ensures that programs begin and end on time.
- May participate in additional special programs and/or events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with club staff and volunteers, club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/instructions; instruct; and advise/counsel.
Bachelor's Degree with a valid State of Florida teaching certificate or National Teaching Accreditation
Ability to pass DCF Level II background screening and drug test
- Knowledge of youth development
- Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior issues
- Ability to work with the public
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs specific to academic development
- Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment
This position generally works 2.5 to 3 hours per day, M - F, between the hours of 2:00 PM - 6:30 PM, but may require longer hours outside of this schedule when necessary. Work is conducted indoors.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for long periods; bending and squatting on occasion
- Ability to lift to 20 lbs. on occasion
- Ability to hear at a normal conversational level
- Ability to maintain high energy level when necessary
- High degree of emotional intelligence
The Boys and Girls Clubs of NE Florida is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and Drug-Free Workplace. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.