7148 - Jacksonville - 11335 Atlantic Blvd, Jacksonville, Florida, 32225
CarMax, the way your career should be!
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
As part of a CarMax store Merchandising Team, under general supervision, a Buyer-in-Training (BIT) is responsible for acquiring and managing CarMax's extensive used car inventory through the successful completion of Customer Appraisal Assessments and Appraisal Offers, coordinating on-site Wholesale auctions, and attending various regional auctions. CarMax's unique retail environment allows BITs to train on a rotating weekly 40-hour schedule, which may involve traveling for training to multiple store locations and offsite vehicle auctions. BITs will spend approximately 6 months completing a comprehensive training program that educates vehicle basics, market analytics, and offsite auction vital behaviors. BITs are part of a Merchandising team responsible to track vehicle purchases and manage retail / wholesale pricing based on internal CarMax sales data and competitive market analysis. This position provides a unique mix of analytical and physical challenges due to the fast-paced, dynamic nature of the business and requires exceptional independent judgment in making important financial and business decisions for CarMax.
What we offer:
- Fortune 100 Best Company to Work For, year after year.
- Exceptional training program, focusing on learning product & industry knowledge. (Skill-based, classroom, and module-based technical training).
- Hands on training with a team of Merchandising Associates.
- No previous automotive experience required.
- Exceptional career path. All Merchandising Associates begin in the BIT position, regardless of current position level in Merchandising.
Career Path for this position is as follows:
Buyer-in-Training > Buyer > Senior Buyer > Purchasing Manager > Regional Vice President
The ideal background includes:
- 3+ years of retail management, hotel/restaurant management, or outside/territory sales experience
- Demonstrate an exceptional Associate Development track record for self and others through achievement-oriented goal setting, inspirational career planning, and focused execution required
- Demonstrate the ability to motivate, inspire, and gain buy-in from peers and business partners while being a champion for change in a team-oriented environment required
- Ability to work a rotating retail schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays is required
- Bachelor's Degree and the ability to relocate is strongly preferred
Disclaimer and Approvals:
This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. This information is current at the time of publication. Responsibilities may include other duties as assigned and may be amended at the discretion of CarMax with or without notice. This document has been reviewed and approved by management and Human Resources and cannot be modified without written consent by a member of management authorized to modify any such responsibilities.
CarMax is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with federal and state laws which forbid discrimination because of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and other protected characteristics. Employment at CarMax is at-will, and therefore, can be terminated, with or without cause, at any time, at the option of the Associate or CarMax.
This at-will employment relationship will remain in effect throughout an Associate's employment with CarMax unless it is modified by a specific, express written employment contract that is signed by an officer of CarMax and the Associate. This at-will employment relationship may not be modified by any oral or implied agreement. Specifically, this job description is not a contract of employment and does not create any contractual rights of any kind between the Company and its Associates.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.