The HR Director leads and manages the Human Resources function for TOTE Services, LLC with an emphasis on talent acquisition for shoreside and seagoing employment, employee engagement, performance management, employee relations, training and development, employee retention, total rewards (compensation and benefits), HRIS administration, administration of insurance claims and compliance with state and federal labor laws. Partner with the executive leadership team to develop and implement strategic direction for the department to maximize organizational effectiveness.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage Marine Crewing and Human Resource departments in administration of daily activities, including addressing the organization’s crewing, staffing, and recruiting needs and executing the best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Lead proactive approach to employee relations by regular engagement with shoreside and vessel leaders and managers by developing strategies to reduce behavior or disciplinary issues and promptly respond to employee complaints and issues, including conducting prompt and effective investigations, and recommending appropriate post-investigation employee mitigation or disciplinary measures.
- Closely coordinate with Labor Relations, Legal, Compliance, and Operations on vessel manning and training requirements, and to ensure compliance with federal and state law, contractual requirements, and company policies.
- Through the Marine Crewing Department, ensures a competent and qualified seagoing work force and ensures that all assigned personnel possess the proper licenses, training, and certificates prior to joining vessels in accordance with regulatory rules and regulations. Develops, recommends, and implements personnel policies as needed.
- Responsible for policies and procedures related to the handling, maintenance, and communication of seagoing personnel records as required by law or local governing bodies, other departments in the organization, and company policies.
- Prepare, develop, and administer policies and procedures that align with contractual requirements, including FAR and DFARS guidelines, corporate quality standards, and corporate policies including oversight of the company's EEO and Affirmative Action programs.
- Coordinates office Human Resource efforts, determines standardized work procedures and satisfactory staffing levels. Coordinates Benefits administration.
- Supervises processing of medical and/or insurance expenses and procurement of employee benefits.
- Monitor and report data concerning labor legislation, labor market conditions, prevailing union and management practices, wage and salary surveys, and employee benefits programs to TS executive team.
- Responsible for coordination with Claims Administrator on processing of P&I Claims. Collaborates with attorneys on cases involving litigation, providing information pertinent to the case.
- Participates and provides input in the bidding process for new contracts. Prepares seagoing personnel forecast to project employment needs for new business.
Manages subordinate supervisors and non-supervisory staff in Human Resources and Crewing Departments. Responsibility for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this department.
Performs supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and employee relations issues, conducting investigations, and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B. S.) from four-year college or maritime academy; and ten years human resources experience. Meaningful HR experience in manufacturing, heavy industry or maritime companies is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, crewmembers, customers, and the public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic mathematics.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Eligible for DOD-issued SECRET security clearance.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Previous experience in a maritime or industrial environment a plus.
- Collaborative, team player with a sense of urgency and strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills, including proficiency in developing and delivering presentations. Familiarity of working with represented employees who are members of a collective bargaining agreements and their related policies, procedures, and practices.
- Familiarity with government programs respecting hiring, benefits, etc.
- Proficient knowledge of insurance practices and procedures.
- Experience in UKG, HRIS, Serengeti, and Origami systems desired.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, crewmembers, customers, and the general public.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and HR system applications